87 XR600 Fires up and dies until kicked alot!

2 replies to this topic
  • RShaips

Posted May 25, 2007 - 05:22 AM

I have an 87 XR600 that I have had for a short while and I am having troubles getting it started. It will fire right up but only run for a second then die. I have replaced the coil due to a previous problem and also replaced the silencer with an aftermarket aluminum one that came with the bike. I have cleaned the carbs several times also. After about 50 kicks it will finally keep running and then it runs excellent. Once its been started once it will start easily after that. My thought is that my jets are too lean in the carb and may need replacing, any suggestions? If I jump it starts right up also. The bike could probably also use the valves adjusted. Thanks for the help

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • butcharin

Posted May 25, 2007 - 05:34 AM

I'd check the valves. I had a Kawi that would do the same thing. Ajusted the valves and it would start first kick. My two cents.

• rmhrc630

Posted May 26, 2007 - 10:38 PM

Stator. Simple fix. Have it rewound. Bike will then run like a champ.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.