XR650R Air filter choices/problems

9 replies to this topic
  • thumper605

Posted May 24, 2007 - 03:42 PM

My XR650R came with a K&N air filter. Now if you do not a PC Racing pro seal you have to use grease. This can be a mess when you need to change the filter on the fly hundreds of miles from home. It turns out PC Racing has discontinued:excuseme:
making the seal for the BRP.

So I just bought a No-toil filter. Now it appears I may need a backfire screen. I really can't tell if the no-toil filter will stay in place with no backing. Any help here it's time to ride. And need to know my air filter is working right before the Honda sucks down a quart of dust.

• roadrunner81

Posted May 24, 2007 - 03:55 PM

I'll try to post a pic but I used coat hangers to make a frame to hold filter in place, flows more than uni frame and it was free.:)

• Billahjack

Posted May 25, 2007 - 05:55 AM

UNI has a metal backing plate on their filters. You don't need the stock screen unless you plan on backfiring and burning your air filter.

XR'sOnly has a perforated metal screen that does not fit too well. You can still jam it in there though.

• 4Takt

Posted May 25, 2007 - 06:50 AM

UNI has a metal backing plate on their filters. You don't need the stock screen unless you plan on backfiring and burning your air filter.

XR'sOnly has a perforated metal screen that does not fit too well. You can still jam it in there though.

I bought an UNI last week, and as stupid as it sounds, the aluminum frame it comes with DOES NOT FIT in the airbox. It's too big. I have no idea how that is possible since it's hardly a new product, but it doesn't fit.

I had to take the aluminum frame out and sit the UNI on the stock backfire screen. It's still a bit too large, but without the frame I could tuck it in.

Needless to say that was my first and last UNI filter.

Before that I bought a couple of No-Toils with the oil and cleaning system. Both filters completely fell apart after the very first cleaning according to the instructions. Not only did the glued parts fall apart, but the filter looked like it took an acid bath.

So, no more No-Toil either.

I'm back to stock.

• XR4DEZ

Posted May 25, 2007 - 06:58 AM

Stock filter and screen is a good way to go, grease the edges of the filter and you're set.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MikeZ

Posted May 25, 2007 - 01:43 PM

I use one of those cheapie Ready-Filters. $10. Good to go with stock screen. Bike is a rocket. Cheap enough to toss the old filter and put in a new one every few months.

-Z

• DiabloCaballo

Posted May 25, 2007 - 09:02 PM

I run the UNI, it does fit rather tightly but it's been a good filter.

• Thumpmeister

Posted May 27, 2007 - 01:15 AM

I bought an UNI last week, and as stupid as it sounds, the aluminum frame it comes with DOES NOT FIT in the airbox. It's too big. I have no idea how that is possible since it's hardly a new product, but it doesn't fit.

I had to take the aluminum frame out and sit the UNI on the stock backfire screen. It's still a bit too large, but without the frame I could tuck it in.

Needless to say that was my first and last UNI filter.

Before that I bought a couple of No-Toils with the oil and cleaning system. Both filters completely fell apart after the very first cleaning according to the instructions. Not only did the glued parts fall apart, but the filter looked like it took an acid bath.

So, no more No-Toil either.

I'm back to stock.

The same thing happened to me. I got the Uni filter, and the stupid thing didn't even fit right in my airbox. However, I lucked out... When I bought my R4 pipe a number of years ago, it came with a White Bros "Powerfilter" foam filter similar to the uni unit, with no screen, so you just use the stock screen.

I used the stock screen, which fit like it should, and gummed the edges with grease, and layed the White Bros Filter over top. Its worked GREAT for the past 3 years, even with tons of cleaning solvent baths.

Before you give up, see if you can find the White Bros Powerfilter for the BRP, cause it should be cheap, and just a foam cut-out, pretty much. Mine has worked great so far.

• thumper605

Posted June 15, 2007 - 07:01 PM

Well it's plain and simple Honda really blew it on the air filter for the XR650R.

I bought the Honda back fire screen and I found a Pro Seal trying to eliminate the use of grease when changing filters on the fly.

Now I find out the filter does not mount on the back fire screen, instead it just sits i front of it.

And using the Pro Seal does nothing to hold the filter in place.

Back to square one.

So I guess I will have to try the Unifilter that fits tight for less dirt getting in the motor.

Maybe Honda figured that so many owners would ruin there engines with dirt getting in them they could make a ton of money on engine parts.:thumbsup:

• XR4DEZ

Posted June 15, 2007 - 08:22 PM

Maybe Honda figured that so many owners would ruin there engines with dirt getting in them they could make a ton of money on engine parts.
You're probably right , I only got 19k out of mine before valves and a piston.Keep a stock greased filter and a couple of plastic gloves in a ziplock for trail use.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.