Strangely low oil temperature.

20 replies to this topic
  • Bibleman

Posted May 24, 2007 - 02:32 PM

I got my oil temp dipstick yesterday and rode my XRL to and from work about 30 miles each way. The morning was about 65 degrees outside and the ride home was about 80 degrees. My oil temp took about 10 miles both times to even get to 200 degrees and stayed between 210 and 220 just about the whole time. It hit 225 once briefly. The ride ranged from stop and go on up to short sections of 65 - 70 mph. I'm running Rotella 15-50 dino oil, tank wings are on, and Daves mods with the exception of a 160 main jet and FMF Q2 pipe.

• jesusgatos

Posted May 24, 2007 - 03:12 PM

200-220 isn't that low...

• Bibleman

Posted May 24, 2007 - 04:31 PM

From what I've been reading I thought only those with oil coolers were running in that range. Even the instructions that came with the dipstick said normal operating temps are 250 - 300.:) Anywho, I took the wings off tonight since I never liked the looks anyway and I'll see what happens tomorrow. It's supposed to be around 90 here tomorrow.

• Bibleman

Posted May 24, 2007 - 05:26 PM

My bad, you're right. I just did a perusal of the temps listed on 4strokes.com (am I allowed to say that here?:) ) and it's pretty much the norm under typical riding conditions.:ride:

• lrutt

Posted May 25, 2007 - 05:00 AM

sounds like what mine runs in those temps under those conditions. nothing strange there.

• Denn10

Posted May 25, 2007 - 06:46 AM

exact same as how mine will run 200-225. Do you find yourself peeping down every few mins looking at the temp now LOL i do its a bad habit already

• martinfan30

Posted May 25, 2007 - 09:07 AM

ya mine is the same unless im going 20 miles or more on the hiway at 65. then it gets up round 260.

• Mogdorr

Posted May 25, 2007 - 11:09 AM

My oil temp is always right at 188F on the highway or back roads. Mabey hits 200 in stop and go. I have a cooler, and temp is electronically monitored. Only gets to 230 or a bity above if I stop for a while after gettin her hot. I am still running a bit on the rich side though.

• Bibleman

Posted May 25, 2007 - 02:33 PM

Well a little update. I guess the Honda engineers know a thing or three and put those wings on for a reason. Second day taking the XRL to work and in the morning in same air temps and on the same route as yesterday but WITHOUT the wings, my oil was about 15-20 degrees higher. On the way home it was a bit warmer than the previous day and I topped 250 degrees which is about 25 degrees higher than the day before. This is with the front fender vented too. I'm putting my wings back on tonight. I already painted them black so they look better than stock (IMO) but now I'm going to airbrush some kind of righteous picture on them and make them beneficial not only functionally but also aesthetically (big word there:eek: ). Hmmm, maybe I'll do a self portrait:crazy:

• chuck2000

Posted May 25, 2007 - 02:56 PM

thanks for the info on the wings - was wondering about that too

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wheelnut46

Posted May 25, 2007 - 07:09 PM

I already painted them black so they look better than stock (IMO) but now I'm going to airbrush some kind of righteous picture on them and make them beneficial not only functionally but also aesthetically (big word there:eek: ). Hmmm, maybe I'll do a self portrait:crazy:

<<< Wants to see pictures.

• Rman of 237

Posted June 01, 2007 - 04:39 AM

Hey Bibleman,
If you did Dave's mods and didn't rejet it, it will run lean (hot).
My temp dipstick reads 230 -250 max with a Dynojet kit.
Im considering putting a XR400 oil cooler on it because it's summertime 9mo. out of the year in Central Texas.:thumbsup:
Rman....

• Bibleman

Posted June 02, 2007 - 05:12 AM

Dave's mods are all done. I also noticed that by trimming the front fender by 2 inches, it seems to have been good for about 3-5 degrees lower running temp too. I trimmed it mainly for looks, but it has had a small effect on cooling. The rear of my fender was already vented at that time though. I'll see if I can get my son to post a pic.

• Motosprtman

Posted June 02, 2007 - 06:12 AM

I am running without the wings up here in Washington and yesterday in stop and go traffic it topped at 300, then back onto the freeway at 65-70 and down to 250, passing over Deception Pass Bridge -cooler air - down to 220, back up to 250 / 60 after that.

Does the shape of the IMS tank retain some of the same aerodynamic flow as with a stock tank and wings?

• XR650L_Dave

Posted June 04, 2007 - 08:21 AM

BTW, a good thing about the thermo. dispstick is if it reads really low, like ambient to 150 or so, you probably have lost enough oil its not touching the dipstick.

Dave

• Rman of 237

Posted June 04, 2007 - 10:23 AM

The IMS 4.0 uses the volume of space that the removable wings took up for the added fuel capacity plus a little more added volume around the cap.
I agree with XR Dave that if your temp is low your dipstick is not getting wet and you are low on oil.:thumbsup:
Rman......

• goblin127

Posted June 04, 2007 - 11:24 AM

BTW, a good thing about the thermo. dispstick is if it reads really low, like ambient to 150 or so, you probably have lost enough oil its not touching the dipstick.

Dave

Thats a good one to watch out for,I never (might not have) thought of that if it were to happen.

• Denn10

Posted June 04, 2007 - 02:30 PM

WOW im in the desert in SoCal and i havent seen above 250 with everything stock, i want to put a cooler on myself though. i just dont like the idea of 300 degree oil temps even though i know alot of the ls run that warm.

• martinfan30

Posted June 04, 2007 - 02:34 PM

Dave

i was wondering if that would happen! :thumbsup:

• Motosprtman

Posted June 05, 2007 - 03:04 PM

WOW im in the desert in SoCal and i havent seen above 250 with everything stock, i want to put a cooler on myself though. i just dont like the idea of 300 degree oil temps even though i know alot of the ls run that warm.

After changing my oil and then installing the IMS tank my temp was about 220ish on a 77 degree day...

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.