Oil smells like gas

3 replies to this topic
  • TWILES

Posted May 24, 2007 - 09:31 AM

I put the YZ needle in my 05 a while back and I checked the oil a couple of days ago and it was a little over full and smelled like gas. I know something isn't seated right somewhere but I've never had this happen to me. I don't turn the gas off when I shut it off and it couldn't have been very much gas to get into the oil or it would be coming out the hole when I pull the bip-stick out. I'm guessing this was a one-time deal because all the one's I've seen where the carb was letting gas in flooded the bottom end. Its running perfect. Anyone had this happen?

• xrmarty

Posted May 24, 2007 - 08:26 PM

I got the same bad habbit of not shutting my gas off. I better go to the garage and do it now!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TWILES

Posted May 25, 2007 - 05:51 AM

I did after I got a whif of the oil.

• j d

Posted May 26, 2007 - 12:42 AM

This is normal for any modern day thumper.

Fuel contamination of the oil is caused by unburnt fuel passing the piston rings on the compression stroke just before ignition. The effects are increased on new age thumpers because often manufacturers will use one less ring than conventional 4T's & these things rev so much higher.

This is why you shoud change your oil more frequently. The fuel breaks down the oil.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.