Gas Leak XR600R

12 replies to this topic
  • ImStuck

Posted May 23, 2007 - 09:52 PM

i have no idea what the year is on this thing, but today after riding it up and down the street to get it outta the garage, i came into the driveway and turned the bike off. i go and get some water, and i come back and i hear dripping, and theres a puddle of gas coming out of the overflow tube, or whatever it is, the one where when you crash it leaks a bit.

so, i turned the flow off, and moved the bike.

just out ot curiosity, i turn the engine over once, and turn it back on. and same thing.

sooo, i start it up, and idle it for a bit, then stop it, and only a bit came out...

any thoughts of whats wrong?

• tomb1957

Posted May 23, 2007 - 11:32 PM

The float is gummed up most likely.

• Firelyle

Posted May 24, 2007 - 05:22 AM

Sounds like it is a float issue. If the bike has been sitting it is probably varnished up and causing the float to stick. Probably a good idea to clean the carb out.

• butcharin

Posted May 24, 2007 - 05:31 AM

+1 on the sticky float:thumbsup:

• Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted May 24, 2007 - 06:35 AM

+2 on the sticky float

• ImStuck

Posted May 24, 2007 - 11:20 AM

is there an online toutorial how to claen it out somewhere?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Firelyle

Posted May 24, 2007 - 12:30 PM

Try the search feature on TT. I'm sure there is one there. If not it is really a straightforward procedure of disassembling the carb, giving it a good soak and reassemble and adjust. Not too tough.
Good Luck :)

• focallength

Posted May 24, 2007 - 02:50 PM

the float...yeah deffinnely the float

as far as a online video...

if you have at least 2 functioning brain cells and a set of tools you can remove the float bowl and hose down the float with carb cleaner all in about 2-5 minutes.

Heck, most people can remove the whole carb, pull it apart, clean it/ assemble it and put it back on the bike in about 30-45 minutes with no prior experience or manual. :)

• ImStuck

Posted May 24, 2007 - 03:53 PM

okee, i took it apart... and it looks really clean to me...

what do you think?

not cleaned yet

• Firelyle

Posted May 25, 2007 - 09:16 AM

The first pic is of the bowl which really won't affect the gas flow. The second pic didn't seem to show the float assembly(maybe just me). I would really recommend taking the carb out. Slowly taking it apart (take pics if you need to for reassembly) and make sure the the entire thing is cleaned out. It only takes a very little bit of varnish to really screw things up. If you don't feel comfortable taking it apart, just take the whole carb to a motorcycle shop and ask them to go through it. I doubt it would cost too much and then you would know its done right (hopefully)
Good luck!

• DGXR

Posted May 25, 2007 - 03:29 PM

Looks OK to me, by the 2 pictures you've shown. At least it's clean on the inside! Be careful not to let any of that dirt and dust on the outside of the carb body into the bowl or inside the carb. That'll only make things worse. And watch out for the float pivot pin-pic#2 shows it's almost fallen out. But just take out the jets and give her a good squirting with carb cleaner and blow it dry or just let it evaporate. Check the float level, it can be done with a metric ruler and some needlenose pliers. If that does not fix it, the needle valve could be messed up - that's the piece the float pushes against to stop the flow of gas when the bowl gets full. Oh, and while the bowl is off, replace the phillips head bolts with allen bolts before they strip out and you can't get the bowl off anymore. Just my $0.02. Anyone with basic tools and opposing thumbs can do this stuff. Good luck.

• ImStuck

Posted May 25, 2007 - 04:26 PM

thanks, but i guess it must have been a fluke. works now! :)

• kellismechanic

Posted May 26, 2007 - 03:46 PM

I agree with firelyle, and don't forget to have the float level done, or it will keep leaking.:)

Related Content

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  40 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  57 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.