Here is how I gained more lever pull with asv clutchperch and lever.

15 replies to this topic
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted May 23, 2007 - 06:30 PM

When I bought the asv universial clutchlever which also came with the perch for my 06 450f this is what I had to do Posted Image.I had to take 3 washers and cut one side of them with a hacksaw in order for them to fit. If you try and to just put the whole washers on there they will not work because they will hit the motor,thats why I had to take a hacksaw and cut about 3mm's off of one side. But the reason for this was to give me more clutch adjustment at the clutch perch. You know!!!! the screw that you turn out at the perch to give you mor lever pull.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted May 24, 2007 - 07:33 PM

hasnt anyone had to do this before^^^^^^^^^^^

• yami racer

Posted May 25, 2007 - 05:08 AM

I tried to put the ASV on my '06 and had the same issue with too much slack in the clutch cable. It looks like a good idea but why would I have to do this with a $100+ clutch lever? Anyway I am back to the stock.

• grayracer513

Posted May 25, 2007 - 05:29 AM

I used the blade only on mine, since the stock perch and adjuster seem to work just fine. The '06 perch is different from the earlier ones, and apparently, it's shorter through the adjuster

However, if I had run into that same problem, I think I would simply have put both nuts on the same side of the cable stop.

• Ranger18

Posted May 25, 2007 - 07:17 AM

I have the ASV C5 pro perch with hot start, and didn't have any problems.

• BergArabia

Posted May 25, 2007 - 07:22 AM

Seems like an elegant and cheap solution to me..

• CaptainKnobby

Posted May 25, 2007 - 07:41 AM

I used the blade only on mine, since the stock perch and adjuster seem to work just fine. The '06 perch is different from the earlier ones, and apparently, it's shorter through the adjuster

However, if I had run into that same problem, I think I would simply have put both nuts on the same side of the cable stop.

:) That is not a nut behind the washers!...... It is made intothe cable>>>> The only nut down there is the one at the end of the stop.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted May 25, 2007 - 07:52 AM

I guess the C5 perch was made more like the stock perch or somewhat the same dimenisions......I purchased the F3 clutch lever which came with the perch. They had it listed as something called the universial F3 clutchlever assembaly. I tried to re-route the cable in a different direction but couldnt find a way to do it with out putting the cable in a bind,so I just went with the washer trick!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 25, 2007 - 08:30 AM

:ride: That is not a nut behind the washers!...... It is made intothe cable>>>> The only nut down there is the one at the end of the stop.

I know that. :) And I would have put the nut on the "top" side of the cable stop, just like I said.

• Yamahafan

Posted May 25, 2007 - 09:33 AM

Ditto.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted May 25, 2007 - 04:54 PM

I know that. :ride: And I would have put the nut on the "top" side of the cable stop, just like I said.

Yea!....but if you use the nut at the end of the stop(Iam talking about the nut that threads on the screw that I have the washers on)if you use that nut you wont have a nut to thread on at the end of the cable stop to hold the cable in the mount that is attached to the motor.:) BTW here is the lever and perch that asv sent me and two other pics of the cable stop.
Posted Image
and here is the other pic at a different angle to show how the washers were cut. A little blur but you can tell. And over here is a clearer pic
Posted Image.Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted May 25, 2007 - 07:39 PM

Yea!....but if you use ... that nut you wont have a nut to thread on at the end of the cable stop to hold the cable in the mount that is attached to the motor.:)

Why would that be a problem? The cable housing isn't fastened in like that at the top, and really can't come out of place when adjusted right.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted May 26, 2007 - 01:03 AM

Why would that be a problem? The cable housing isn't fastened in like that at the top, and really can't come out of place when adjusted right.

OH!!! You are talking about putting the nut at the top which is at the perch!......I thought you were talking about the bottom part and taking the nut and putting it in front of the washers and that was what I was thinking you were calling the top:bonk: .......BTW.....where would you put the nut at up there at the perch? Would you take the adjuster screw out and thread a nut on to it and then thread the screw in to the perch.......and then that way the nut would be in the middle and give you more lever pull>>>>>>Is this right!........What you meant!......I now understand how you say to do it:bonk: :)

• grayracer513

Posted May 26, 2007 - 07:28 AM

OH!!! You are talking about putting the nut at the top which is at the perch!............I now understand how you say to do it:bonk: :)

No, I'm talking about putting the nut exactly where the washers are in your set up.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted May 26, 2007 - 08:36 AM

No, I'm talking about putting the nut exactly where the washers are in your set up.

No....because if you do that you will have to have another nut the same size to go at the end to hold that cable screw in wouldnt you? The mount that the screw goes in is not threaded so if you put the nut where the washers are and when you pull the clutch lever in the screw would come out of the mount wouldnt it? I havent tried your method but I will one day just to see.:)

• CaptainKnobby

Posted May 26, 2007 - 08:42 AM

After looking at the pics I believe you are right......Cause if you put the nut where the washers are and you pull the lever in to engage the clutch....>>>>>I dont see how the screw could come out! Because you would have to pull the lever past the grips in order for the screw to leave the mount houseing right!!!!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.