G#$%D$%& chain roller (DR650)

157 replies to this topic
  • Trauts

Posted May 23, 2007 - 03:16 PM

I read the posts about the danger of the upper chain roller abandoning ship, but I thought, "well mine seems ok. What are these guys doing to have their chain rollers hate them so?" Well now I know...Nothing. I was heading home from a weekend trip to western Arkansas, when I noticed that my upper chain roller had gone AWOL. Crap, it also took some of the frame with it.

So a warning to the rest of you non-believers. Remove the roller before you are in the middle of nowhere wondering how much that part of your frame is critical to your loaded bike not cracking in two.

And for those who have already dealt wioth this scourge. What did you do to fix the hole in your frame? Anybody try and get Suzuki to fix it? My bike is still in warranty.

You have been warned.

• exboomer

Posted May 23, 2007 - 03:28 PM

How many miles on your bike?

• Trauts

Posted May 23, 2007 - 04:00 PM

5,000 miles it is a 2006.

• Max Kool

Posted May 23, 2007 - 09:09 PM

Get a new frame under warrenty! (and leave the roller off on the new one)

• DoubleD650

Posted May 24, 2007 - 05:00 AM

Hey Truats, and Max...

What about if I get the 'better' chain roller (like the ones,2, that I just ordered) ? Like the one Jessie has on his site? Would I still be better off to take it off ?

It's gots marks on it so I know I hit it from time to time....

Posted Image

• Trauts

Posted May 24, 2007 - 05:03 AM

I had the improved roller from Jesse.

• fendermon

Posted May 24, 2007 - 05:47 AM

I pulled the top roller and put the bolt back in to keep stuff out.

• SSonnentag

Posted May 24, 2007 - 06:24 AM

All right, I'm convinced. I was planning on leaving mine on just like you did, but I'll be making a trip to the hardware store for a setscrew now. :-) Thanks for the warning.

Shawn

• mxrob

Posted May 24, 2007 - 06:40 AM

All right, I'm convinced. I was planning on leaving mine on just like you did, but I'll be making a trip to the hardware store for a setscrew now. :-) Thanks for the warning.

Shawn

+1 on the set screw.... or just some silicone RTV. The less metal you have sticking out from the boss for the chain to snag the better for your frame!

• adams

Posted May 24, 2007 - 07:53 AM

thanks for the post, i also thought "it cant happen to me." i will be removing the upper roller.

• FatChance

Posted May 24, 2007 - 08:07 AM

To help put your mind at ease, this has happened to many DR650 owners (myself included). On mine, it pulled the threaded part out of the frame and there is now a hole a little under 1/2" wide in the frame where there used to be an upper roller. Just patch the hole to keep stuff out (I put a little steel wool into the hole to take up some space and make a bridge and covered it over with JB Weld). Due to how thin the frame is there and the poor access, I would think welding the hole shut would not be practical. So far, I haven't heard of anyone having a problem with this situation after the top roller has broken off. This was on my wife's '00 DR650. We removed the top roller as soon as we bought the '05 DR650.

• Clear-a-Path

Posted May 24, 2007 - 08:12 AM

Yup, me too....i'm going at lunch to get a set screw and a little 242 Loctite...or should i use teflon tape?

It's a 12mm thread right?

• bitterjoe2003

Posted May 24, 2007 - 08:47 AM

Yup, me too....i'm going at lunch to get a set screw and a little 242 Loctite...or should i use teflon tape?

It's a 12mm thread right?

BlueTiger says here it is 8mm.

• Eyabusa

Posted May 24, 2007 - 09:31 AM

M8 X 1.25 is the screw size and pitch of the threaded hole. The hexhead of the stock bolt measures 12mm. Set screw is better because it has no head and can sit flush.
Erik

• Clear-a-Path

Posted May 24, 2007 - 09:37 AM

Thanks, 8mm it is then....

• Me and my monkee

Posted May 24, 2007 - 12:32 PM

Many of us have had this happen. I would love to see a poll on here so we get get some kind of an idea of percentages affected...
But when does Suzuki have to admit a design defect and give us all new frames? Doesn't the NHSTA (or something like that) keep track of these things. A bloody great hole in my frame, imo, is a problem.

• Oprahrider

Posted May 24, 2007 - 12:46 PM

I think the roller off of the RM series will fit.
And it is of much better quality:ride:

• Trauts

Posted May 24, 2007 - 08:59 PM

I'm busy for the next few days, but I'll be taking my bike to the Suzuki dealer next week. I'll let ya'll know what they say.

• racket

Posted May 25, 2007 - 12:47 AM

Anyone after an upper chain roller as I have one slightly used unit for sale!!! :)

• drzfire

Posted May 25, 2007 - 05:38 AM

Is is safe to say that an upgraded chain roller will not make a difference as to whether or not the unit rips out of the frame?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.