JD Jet Kit vs. GYTR AIS Removal Kit

13 replies to this topic
  • arwun

Posted May 23, 2007 - 09:23 AM

Well, now I have a predicament…

I ordered the GYTR AIS removal kit from my dealer a couple weeks ago, and they said that it was on backorder. I called this Monday, and they didn’t have an ETA, still on BO.

So, I said screw it, and ordered the JD Jet Kit & ZipTy fuel mixture screw from TT. The price for these components was $100 vs. $45 for the GYTR kit, but it was in stock. Well when I got home last night there was a call on my machine from the dealer… my GYTR AIS removal kit is in!?!... and the JD + ZipTy is already in transit!

Now what do I do?!? Should I tell the dealer to stuff it, and they shouldn’t have told me that they didn’t know when the kit would be in? If I do that, I’ll be able to rejet, but I won’t have the block-off stuff for the AIS. I’m not sure that matters anyway; it sounds like removing the AIS doesn’t add any power, just a minor weight savings.

What would you guys do? I’m not sure that I fully understand the difference between the two kits anyway… If I get them both, how much of a duplication in components will I have? Will I be able to sell the duplicates on TT or eBay?

• spick

Posted May 23, 2007 - 09:34 AM

Keep both.

The JD kit will allow you to really adjust your carb to your environment (air temperature and elevation).

The AIS kit helps deal with the dreaded backfire. Though the AIS kit comes with an adjustable needle, folks swear by the R&D gone into the JD kit.

• BajaFool

Posted May 23, 2007 - 09:39 AM

Cancel the JD Jet Kit. It is a waste of money for the the average guy who jets it and forgets it and it does not come with the other things that you need like the AIS removal parts. The GYT-R kit includes all of the jets and needle required to convert your bike into a rocket ship, as well as the new throttle stop, and instructions for installation of all of the other free mods. The ZipTy fuel mixture screw is nice to have, however.

• arwun

Posted May 23, 2007 - 06:27 PM

Cancel the JD Jet Kit. It is a waste of money for the the average guy who jets it and forgets it and it does not come with the other things that you need like the AIS removal parts. The GYT-R kit includes all of the jets and needle required to convert your bike into a rocket ship, as well as the new throttle stop, and instructions for installation of all of the other free mods. The ZipTy fuel mixture screw is nice to have, however.

Well, that was my original thought, which was why I ordered the GYT-R, but I think that it's too late to cancel the JD now. Maybe someone will be nice enough to buy it from me for full price???

• arwun

Posted May 23, 2007 - 06:30 PM

Keep both.

The JD kit will allow you to really adjust your carb to your environment (air temperature and elevation).

The AIS kit helps deal with the dreaded backfire. Though the AIS kit comes with an adjustable needle, folks swear by the R&D gone into the JD kit.

I could do that, but which parts do I use from which kit/s?:)

Some of them are duplicates, right? I would assume that I should use the JD parts if duplicate, and then the GYT-R if not available in the JD (like the AIS removal stuff, etc), right?

However, that seems like I am spending a bunch of extra money on parts that I won't even be able to use.:ride:

• James_Dean

Posted May 24, 2007 - 12:44 AM

The fuel screw and custom multi-tapered needles are not in the AIS kit. The instructions are complete and give you a range of conditions to work with. You will be able to tune your bike better, and more quickly with the added parts and instructions. If you aren't satisfied, return them for a refund.
It's that simple...

Thanks,
James

(-and send me an email if you need help too-)

• arwun

Posted May 24, 2007 - 05:35 AM

The fuel screw and custom multi-tapered needles are not in the AIS kit. The instructions are complete and give you a range of conditions to work with. You will be able to tune your bike better, and more quickly with the added parts and instructions. If you aren't satisfied, return them for a refund.
It's that simple...

Thanks,
James

The fact that you took the time to reply to this makes me want to use the JD kit. And, all of the positive feedback makes me believe that it is better than the GYTR. :)

Now, what to do with the GYTR kit... Should I install the JD kit, and then a portion of the GYTR kit? If yes, which components of the GYTR kit will I use, and which components will be left over (duplicates). :ride:

Will the left-over components from the GYTR kit be worth anything to sell on TT or eBay? I already cut down the OEM throttle stop, so I already know that that will be extra, but what about duplicate jets... which ones?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tony1970

Posted May 24, 2007 - 05:41 AM

It's that simple...

Thanks,
James

JD has put a lot of time and research into his jet kits. Some people give advice of not spending the money on them and sticking with stock needles. Do people think the pros use stock run of the mill jets? The JD kit is well worth the money and you can tune better for your environment, which comes in handy if you are travelling to different areas to ride. Also the TT AIS kit is a better and cleaner install than the GYTR kit. Remember you get what you pay for.

• tony1970

Posted May 24, 2007 - 05:47 AM

The fact that you took the time to reply to this makes me want to use the JD kit. And, all of the positive feedback makes me believe that it is better than the GYTR. :)

Now, what to do with the GYTR kit... Should I install the JD kit, and then a portion of the GYTR kit? If yes, which components of the GYTR kit will I use, and which components will be left over (duplicates). :bonk:

Will the left-over components from the GYTR kit be worth anything to sell on TT or eBay? I already cut down the OEM throttle stop, so I already know that that will be extra, but what about duplicate jets... which ones?

Return the GYTR kit and order the throttle stop seperatly. Even if you think you cut the stop correctly if it is off a bit it can cause the throttle to stick. Then order the TT AIS kit and your set to go.:ride:

• ISBB

Posted May 24, 2007 - 07:32 AM

You have both do you want to wait for more parts to come in.. Probably not. Keep both. Use the JD kit and Fuel Screw to jet the bike after Using the Throttle Stop and AIS blockoff kit from GYTR.. The only duplicate crap you should have is possibly one jet! the needles are ALL diffrent so there are no duplicates there.. Just use them both and go riding. Yes its the long way around but why wait for more stuff to come in and prevent you from riding :)

• arwun

Posted May 24, 2007 - 08:11 AM

Okay, I just ordered the TT AIS removal kit. The bummer is that I used my newbie 10% off coupon to order the JD jet kit, and it won't let me apply it to this order too; I wish that I ordered them at the same time. :)

The GYTR kit is still at the dealer, so I could just not pick it up. I feel bad though, because I did order it. Hopefully, they can sell it to someone else.

• thumbthrottler

Posted May 24, 2007 - 08:55 AM

I pondered this question also, just decided to wait for the GYTR kit; however I did install the JD kit a couple years back and just wanted the GYTR for plugs and such, with whatever "factory fit and finish" you get from it.

Maybe Admin could start a "garage sale" area, because I have an extra Throttle stop screw I could toss in, I'm sure someone could use it, trouble is getting it to them for cheaper than they would pay at dealer.

Glad to hear they are shipping, I bought mine a month or 2 ago.

• arwun

Posted May 24, 2007 - 09:15 AM

Okay, I just ordered the TT AIS removal kit. The bummer is that I used my newbie 10% off coupon to order the JD jet kit, and it won't let me apply it to this order too

Correction; I just contacted TT & told them of my situation, and they applied the coupon to this order too. These guys are awesome! :)

• ISBB

Posted May 25, 2007 - 06:59 AM

TT Store rocks.. :) I was gonna tell you to give em a shout and let em know whats up but you already did :ride:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.