What jets to buy and where?

7 replies to this topic
  • ETP

Posted May 23, 2007 - 05:25 AM

Finally getting around to jetting my 03 WR450 (Canadian model). Been researching which jets to change.
I noticed that the JD kit comes with a few main jets and some needles only. Their website doesn't appear to list the size of the main jets.
Should I order specific sizes from an OEM parts store, or buy the kit and an adjustable feul screw?
And which store is a good source for the seperate parts?

Most of my riding is 1000 to 7000 feet, 50 - 80 degs F.

Thanks.

• bg10459

Posted May 23, 2007 - 05:57 AM

I think the JD kit comes with 160, 165, 168 and 170 main jets.
Check what you have already and get what you don't. You should have on hand:
160, 165, 168 and 170 main jets
40 and 50 leak jets (unless you're doing the AP mod, then you might need a 60, 70, 80 and 90)
45 and 48 pilot jets
65, 70 and 72 starter jets

The main air jet is fixed and the pilot air jet shouldn't be changed unless you're doing ACV mods.

Sudco and the TT store are good places to get what you need, but I'm not sure either place has everything.

Check Indy's post in the Jetting Database

• ETP

Posted May 23, 2007 - 06:18 AM

Thanks for the fast reply. Can't beat this forum for getting info.
Another question to ask you guys that have done this already. Using the carb tutorial, is there anything I should watch out for when I loosen the carb and wrestle it to the side? Pinching or stretching hoses, wires, etc. Looks like theres a ton of stuff all connected that starts moving when you shift that assembly around.

Thanks.

• kskyles

Posted May 23, 2007 - 09:06 AM

only thing to really watch out for is the TPS. don't disconnect it or move it around.

other than that, it's really easy with plenty of room to get to all the jets and needle. it's pretty fun.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CJ06WR

Posted May 23, 2007 - 06:58 PM

Find Indy's jetting post. I would of had no idea of where to begin without his help. I purchased all of my jets, besides the ones that came in the JD Jet Kit, from Zanotti. Do a search for them on line. Prices were cheap and they were delivered as promised.

• kskyles

Posted May 23, 2007 - 07:31 PM

i've heard great things about zanotti's, but i've always used sudco. they're pretty cheap, and fast with shipping. either way, you can't go wrong.

• MxnDoc

Posted May 23, 2007 - 08:55 PM

Finally getting around to jetting my 03 WR450 (Canadian model). Been researching which jets to change.
I noticed that the JD kit comes with a few main jets and some needles only. Their website doesn't appear to list the size of the main jets.
Should I order specific sizes from an OEM parts store, or buy the kit and an adjustable feul screw?
And which store is a good source for the seperate parts?

Most of my riding is 1000 to 7000 feet, 50 - 80 degs F.

Thanks.

If you pull out completely the carb slide, take note of the direction it comes out so you don't put it in backwards and the bike runs horribly. Also review carefully your manual carb schematic so you know where everything goes.

• ISBB

Posted May 24, 2007 - 07:40 AM

The TT store pretty much only carries Mains and Pilots and a very select few of the others..

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.