Clarke 4.7 tank xr650L

2 replies to this topic
  • hondaxr650Lpigswin

Posted May 23, 2007 - 02:01 AM

I have a clarke 4.7 gas tank on my 2003 honda xr650L. It was snug when i first installed it, but the bar padding has worn out a bit, resulting in the tank being a bit loose. I didnt notice until the tank started feeling more loose, but the stock rubber washer where the tank actually screws into the frame doesnt match up all that well with the clarke. The rubber washer is an odd shape, cylindrical and flaring out at the top. Im curious if anyone knows where i can find a similar washer that will tighten the clarke up properly. As it is, my petcock can actually touch the cylinder head if i wiggle it side to side. Id hate to jar the petcock out of place during a rough ride....Also during my last fillup at the gas pump, i noticed the gas filter inside the gas tank had come loose and was sitting on the bottom of the tank next to the petcock pipe spout. Guess ill have to drain the tank and see if i can put it back in place, im curious how it popped off...anyone have this happen to them? any suggestions would be appreciated before i tackle this:) hmm hopefully i wont need a new rubber washer where the petcock meets the gas tank...that thing looked so dinky and fragile when i put it on, was relieved it didnt leak.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • COAL RUN

Posted May 23, 2007 - 08:55 AM

I had this problem with my Clark 4.0 gallon tank. My solution was to make a bar with a twist in it That i mounted across the front of the tank where the small rod was mounted into the threaded inserts , then bolted that to the old mount for the "tankwings". I have had this setup for a while with no problems & the tank is solid. If you do a search you may find some pictures of simular setups as it seem a few others have had problems with these tanks moving

• murgatroid42

Posted May 23, 2007 - 08:38 PM

I had this problem with my Clark 4.0 gallon tank. My solution was to make a bar with a twist in it That i mounted across the front of the tank where the small rod was mounted into the threaded inserts , then bolted that to the old mount for the "tankwings". I have had this setup for a while with no problems & the tank is solid. If you do a search you may find some pictures of simular setups as it seem a few others have had problems with these tanks moving

Yes, absolutely do this. If you ride offroad, you will want that extra support on the front of the tank. Check the bolts regularly, or they will vibrate loose and be lost forever, and you will duct tape the tank to the bike in order to ride to the only hardware store within 100 miles in a really small-town and hope they have the bolt sizes you need on a Sunday morning. DAMHIK.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.