Starvin' Marvin... XR650R (2001) Dyin' on the hills...

2 replies to this topic
  • NAW

Posted May 22, 2007 - 10:28 PM

Recently, I hit a hill that required about 10 seconds of full-on second gear with a click to 1st in the last 40 feet of rough, rutted steep lip. The BRP died going right over the top. I have stock gearing and am unplugged.

Over 3 successful attempts, the only thing carrying me over the top was lady luck and Isaac Newton. That was consistent.

I had about a 1/4th tank - but on attempts 2 & 3, I leaned the bike over to get the gas on the petcock side before each attempt. Nothin' different. She was dying as I went over the top.

So would you start? I have the manual, the aftermarket Air filter is routinely cleaned. My first instinct is to pull the carb and clean the jets. I've had the CDI (Black Box) on the Honda's go haywaire about every 4-6 years, but I think this is too specific for that to be the cause.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Billahjack

Posted May 23, 2007 - 07:15 AM

First, were you using the reserve side of the petcock? That thing is pretty long when drawing from the normal "on" position. Mix in an incline and might be your fuel starvation problem.

If not, then it sounds like the carb float might be too low. I think you can bend it up a couple millimeters to raise the fuel level in the float bowl. If you go too far, then the bike will leak fuel on inclines through the black carb vent hoses.

• NAW

Posted May 23, 2007 - 10:07 PM

Thanks, I'll check that.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.