big dent on header pipe on 05 WR450f

20 replies to this topic
  • bbainutah

Posted May 22, 2007 - 10:27 PM

I hit a rock and dented the header pipe.:) It is right on the bend at the front of the heat shield. The dent has reduced the pipe by about 1/4 to 1/3 of its volume. Does anyone know if it will cause any problems. I hate the way it looks, but will live with it for awhile if it won't cause problems.

• SRT426

Posted May 22, 2007 - 10:38 PM

You will probably see a little reduction in top end power due to less flow. Just pull it off, fill it full of water, plug the ends and stick it in the freezer. Repeat this step a few times and the dent will work back out from the water expanding during the freezing process. Start today and it will be ready for the weekend :)

• ADVnaut

Posted May 22, 2007 - 11:11 PM

I would be careful freezing it. Titanium is more brittle than you think at low temperatures. You could bust it unless you were able to limit the area with water to the bend region only.

J.M. $0.02

EDIT: If the bend is in the curved part and you could fill that part with water and prop it up where the water lies in the bent region and not in the unbent part you would probably be safe.

• gregwr450f

Posted May 22, 2007 - 11:45 PM

Any muffler shop can fix it, cost me $10au to mine fixed.

• Bamster

Posted May 23, 2007 - 03:52 AM

You will probably see a little reduction in top end power due to less flow. Just pull it off, fill it full of water, plug the ends and stick it in the freezer. Repeat this step a few times and the dent will work back out from the water expanding during the freezing process. Start today and it will be ready for the weekend

You don't have to plug the ends.
Just put water in it and position it in the freezer so the water is where the dent is. Keep an eye on it. you will see it start to pop a little when it starts to freeze.
Run some cold water through it to thaw it a little a freeze again, repeat until dent is gone. Just dont fill and leave it for a long period of time.
I did this with really good results.

• clark4131

Posted May 23, 2007 - 07:09 AM

I would be careful freezing it. Titanium is more brittle than you think at low temperatures. You could bust it unless you were able to limit the area with water to the bend region only.

The '05 OEM header isn't titanium...SC

• SJMC_DON

Posted May 23, 2007 - 07:22 AM

The '05 OEM header isn't titanium...SC

Are you sure? The 04' OEM is Ti......

Either way, the freezing trick is the way to go... no plugs needed:prof:

• bbainutah

Posted May 23, 2007 - 07:23 AM

Thanks for all the imput, I'll give it a try!!

• clark4131

Posted May 23, 2007 - 08:44 AM

Are you sure? The 04' OEM is Ti...

If the one I took off mine was, then it was the heaviest Ti I've felt. Also, I just bolted a complete '06 OEM exhaust on to a '99 YZ400 and it didn't feel like it either. But, I've been mistaken before...SC

• SJMC_DON

Posted May 23, 2007 - 09:25 AM

If the one I took off mine was, then it was the heaviest Ti I've felt. Also, I just bolted a complete '06 OEM exhaust on to a '99 YZ400 and it didn't feel like it either. But, I've been mistaken before...SC

Frankly the Ti header is way to soft, and if they changed from 05' on then good for Yamaha... I have not really looked at my 07' header yet. My typical riding involves BIG rocks and the stock headers on all of my WR's have suffered over the years but the freezing trick works well.

I put a SS Power bomb on my 04' a year ago and it does not have one dent in it, seems to be a very durable product:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • j d

Posted May 26, 2007 - 01:03 AM

Mt 04 model has got a titanium header & this worked well.

• bbainutah

Posted May 28, 2007 - 09:50 PM

What a stubborn dent, but the freezer trick worked like a CHAMP!!! Thanks for all the great advice!!!:)

• ADVnaut

Posted May 29, 2007 - 01:14 PM

Congratulations, now go flog that bike, it needs punishing for getting a dent.:)

• bbainutah

Posted May 31, 2007 - 04:58 PM

I like the way you think!! Of course I'll be back with questions on how to fix the next problem the bike causes me... Because it's never my fault:crazy:

• 450pmp

Posted June 01, 2007 - 10:53 AM

I just tried the water/freezer dent trick with great results. It took 3 freezes but popped right out. Only problem is there is a little hole in it now from whatever caused the dent. A little tack from a welder will take care of this. I've just got to find someone who can weld titanium. How can I tell if it's titanium for sure? It's an 04 and it looks and feels like titanium, but so does my buddie's 01 Wr250.:thumbsup:

• ADVnaut

Posted June 01, 2007 - 04:03 PM

I just tried the water/freezer dent trick with great results. It took 3 freezes but popped right out. Only problem is there is a little hole in it now from whatever caused the dent. A little tack from a welder will take care of this. I've just got to find someone who can weld titanium. How can I tell if it's titanium for sure? It's an 04 and it looks and feels like titanium, but so does my buddie's 01 Wr250.:thumbsup:

Stick a strong magnet on it, no stick, no steel. But if it is '04 OEM, you can bet it is Ti.

• 450pmp

Posted June 19, 2007 - 03:04 PM

Yup titanium. Aerotech welded it for me for free!:thumbsup:

• ADVnaut

Posted June 19, 2007 - 03:57 PM

Sweet, glad it worked out for you.

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted June 26, 2007 - 06:53 AM

Anyone a skeptic???
I sure was!! Until last night.

Dented my Ti header pre-running for the Baja 500 recently.
Sure it's not too bad. But bad enough where people see it and say "hey... your pipes dented..."
Enough to make you want to fix it right?!

- Took the header off last night.
- Added water (did not end cap the pipe or anything).
- Placed in freezer.
- Woke this am to a near perfect repair!

Here's the photos in that order;
http://smg.photobuck...nt=DSC04292.jpg

http://smg.photobuck...nt=DSC04290.jpg

http://smg.photobuck...nt=DSC04295.jpg

Straight from the freezer;
http://smg.photobuck...nt=DSC04296.jpg

Here it's not so frozen so you can see the repair a bit better. Near perfect.
http://smg.photobuck...nt=DSC04299.jpg

http://smg.photobuck...nt=DSC04300.jpg

• responding

Posted June 26, 2007 - 08:23 AM

LMAO, Mine is sitting in the freezer on a bag of tater-tots right now. I'm not having the same luck you did though. I've had it in and out of there for 3 days, and the stubborn lil dent wont come out. I'm thinking I just haven't left it sit long enough, so I'm giving it the silent treatment now. Bad pipe.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.