Anyone move from XR400 to WR450?

14 replies to this topic
  • Badkaw2

Posted May 22, 2007 - 06:46 PM

I am thinking about switching from my XR400 to a WR450. Has anyone made this switch? I'm sure the power, suspension and handling are an improvement but is it really worth selling my XR and shelling out the extra money? Just looking for some honest opinions. Thanks

• crooks420

Posted May 22, 2007 - 07:36 PM

I have an 05 WR450, and have ridden my bud's XR400. It's a sled...... different machine. I will say the XR is way more of a tractor going up the rough stuff (read: good low gearing/ easy); the WR like to rev a bit higher, but it'll still lug some.
I also own an 05 Kawasaki KLR 650 that has seen some rugged trails. For certain trips, I would prefer the XR over the Klr. I would keep the XR if it was street legal here in CA. But otherwise, if you dont mind giving up a great reliable workhorse for a great Yamaha off-road bike (which will require a bit more maintenance) ..... go for it. The XR is a "simpler" bike, has great power/ speed, has plenty of aftermarket support, and with basic maintenance and care, should prove to be reliable for many years. The WR has great power and speed (when the free mods are done), requires more dilligent maintenance (valves, oil changes, clean air filter), has good tunable suspension.

Just my opinion.

• pilsner

Posted May 22, 2007 - 07:59 PM

Hey man, my first bike was an xr 400. last year i sold it and got an 04 wr 450. Best move i ever made. When riding the wr you actually feel like your controling the bike, like your part of it. The xr, albeit a great reliable bike, feells like your sitting on top of a horse who doesn't really want you there., The wr tractors as good as the xr and kicks butt when the trail opens up. The suspension on the wr is perfect for trail riding and the tranny ratio is great for just puting around and even better when you really want to turn it up. I say do it and don't look back. Bye the way the, the maintenance is really quite easy.

• xrmarty

Posted May 22, 2007 - 08:15 PM

I did exactly what you ask. I have an XR400 which is the bike I learned to ride on. I also have the WR450. There are only three words that can summarize the difference: suspension, handling and power. You'll feel like you gained five years of riding experience when you switch to the WR (or most any other moder bike for that matter). The XR4 and 250 are based on 1996 technology in the suspension department; the engine technology goes back to the early 80's.

• Tough Guy

Posted May 22, 2007 - 08:20 PM

I sold my XR 400R and replaced it with an 07 WR 450F...I ride a lot, and the difference is huge between the bikes. You'll go everywhere the WR will on your XR it just takes more out of you to do it.

Chris

• Terminal_Preppy

Posted May 23, 2007 - 06:59 AM

I too moved from an XR400 to WR450. I couldn't have asked for more, I am completely satisfied with my decision. But i didn't sell the XR400, it's now my buddy bike. :)

• xrmarty

Posted May 23, 2007 - 07:43 AM

But i didn't sell the XR400, it's now my buddy bike. :)

I'm doing the same thing. XR400's are great loaner bikes. There is nothing to break on that bike. No rads, hoses, header nicely tucked in ,etc.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crooks420

Posted May 23, 2007 - 04:41 PM

I'm doing the same thing. XR400's are great loaner bikes. There is nothing to break on that bike. No rads, hoses, header nicely tucked in ,etc.

Exactly why I would keep the XR.

• emtieman

Posted May 23, 2007 - 06:05 PM

I went from a XR 600 to a WR 426 and wonder why I had not done the switch sooner. Money I guess. The only thing the XR is better for is a very long haul as long as the terain isn't too rough. There is nothing more comfortable than the seat of the XR.

The WR is much more responsive and nimble, making it more fun to ride. The XR had decent power but the bike is so heavy that the bike would lug at low rpm's and break traction at high rpm's in the technical hill climbs.

As long as your rides average less that 150 miles, the WR is much more fun and less physically demanding.

• CJ06WR

Posted May 23, 2007 - 06:55 PM

I made the switch and I have no regrets. My 06 WR450 is so much easier to ride, I am actually a better rider. It's old vs new technology.

• bageera

Posted May 24, 2007 - 06:55 AM

I agree with the above comments. I bought a 1998 XR400 used in Cambodia in 2000 and used it four years and 240,000 klm. It was a completely reliable machine. Never stuck me in the jungle once. I completely wore it out, as a sad but satisfied owner. But, in mud and sand it was not a stellar handling machine.

I bought a new 04' WR450 to replace the XR and have ridden the WR nearly 90,000 klm in three years. My fatigue factor decreased significantly the rougher the travel. Flat easy stuff is easier on the XR due to ergonomics of me at 6'0" and the XR saddle. But when it gets sandy, muddy, rocky, etc. the WR package is far superior. This was enhanced further when I bolted on a set of Fasstco Flex Bars. The vibration difference the the WR went to zero and my shoulders, arms, wrists extended their range to 1000 klm no problem.

The XR can take marginal fuel better than the higher compression WR, but I have not been stopped yet, even on Vietnamese gas/kerosene

My two cents for now

Bageera in Asia

• Greg Holford

Posted May 25, 2007 - 09:46 PM

i ALSO MADE THAT SWITCH TO A 07WR450 ALL i CAN SAY IS HOLY SH!T.BIG DIFFERENCE

• j d

Posted May 26, 2007 - 12:16 AM

I am thinking about switching from my XR400 to a WR450. Has anyone made this switch? I'm sure the power, suspension and handling are an improvement but is it really worth selling my XR and shelling out the extra money? Just looking for some honest opinions. Thanks

Just do it. You won't regret it. More power on tap - only when you need it. Still lugs when you short shift - will tractor up hills. (not unlike the XR). You'll will love the suspension & your riding will go to a all new level.:ride: Enjoy.:)

• PfM

Posted May 29, 2007 - 01:57 PM

I bought a new 04' WR450 to replace the XR and have ridden the WR nearly 90,000 klm in three years.

Bageera in Asia

...did you say 90,000 kilometers (ninety thousand kilometers) ?

but...you have to change the fully synthaholic oil every 500km and adjust the valves every high tide....

Apologies for the sarcasm, but I love to hear stuff like this - every time I get close to buying a WR, I get told how they are race bikes and not meant for any distance work.

Cheers
PfM

• bandit99

Posted May 29, 2007 - 03:19 PM

The WR is the most reliable 450 out there. The valves rarely need adjusting. I check them every 500 miles and have never had to adjust them. I have about 2500 miles so far. I have a friend with a WR426 with 20,000+ miles on it with no problems. The Honda's are the 450's with valve adjusting issues. I had an XR400 for many years before the WR450 and I would not go back. With good radiator guards the WR450 is just as durable as an XR400.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.