Valve Clearance

3 replies to this topic
  • superxking22

Posted May 22, 2007 - 03:57 PM

I'm Checking and adjusting The Valve Clearance in my 06' YZ450, and it's the first time I've ever done it myself. All the other times I've just let the shop do it, but wanted to learn myself. Anyway....On the Exhaust valves the biggest feeler gauge I got in them was a .203 but it was really tight in one of them. I was wondering if it meant that one particular valve was tight or not? And on the Intake the Biggest feeler gauge I got in them was a .127, .152, .127 (respectively). The one with .152 had some resistance but not so bad that you had to force it (Not near as much as the exhaust valve I was wondering about). Do I need to shim either one of them? Any Help is greatly appreciated.

• grayracer513

Posted May 22, 2007 - 04:41 PM

The intakes are fine. Will a .19mm gauge drag under the tighter exhaust valve? If so, shim it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • superxking22

Posted May 22, 2007 - 04:50 PM

I don't have a .19mm feeler, but combined a .152 and .038 which should come out to a .190. As long as you keep pressure on the gauges (just to keep them together) there is no resistance. only time I get any resistance on it is when you can't keep them pressed together.

• grayracer513

Posted May 22, 2007 - 08:32 PM

In that case, I'd call it good. If there's no drag on a .007" (.1778mm) gauge, and the .008 (your .203mm) goes, I pass it. If you're uncomfortable with it, you could cut the shim size down one size.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.