"Going Back" to an XR600R and loving it.

7 replies to this topic
  • FZ1426

Posted May 21, 2007 - 06:30 PM

Just picked up a plated 96 XR. This is my 7th XR/XRL I've had over the years. These bikes were so maligned when the 650R came out. Been there done that. I had my 650R motor tuned to perfection and it was fast as hell but the bike never felt as good as my 600's. And they're lighter!

Happy to be "back". Thanks for all the good setup info on the site.

First I'll set it up for dirt, then the master plan is for a set of supermoto wheels to tear up the street. :)

• Firelyle

Posted May 22, 2007 - 12:56 PM

Welcome back! :)

• wickedsprint

Posted May 22, 2007 - 12:57 PM

277 to 272 lbs, so around 5lbs diff...

I really wanted an XR600R when I was in high school. simple air cooled bike that had some power and runs forever. The only nitpicky thing I dislike about the 600R is the fact that the left footpeg mount is fixed to the frame, and sorta sticks out there. probably no big deal but I hate lack of attention to detail like that. They shoulda used the same mount as the right one.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted May 23, 2007 - 08:10 AM

277 to 272 lbs, so around 5lbs diff...

I really wanted an XR600R when I was in high school. simple air cooled bike that had some power and runs forever. The only nitpicky thing I dislike about the 600R is the fact that the left footpeg mount is fixed to the frame, and sorta sticks out there. probably no big deal but I hate lack of attention to detail like that. They shoulda used the same mount as the right one.

They only used a mount on the rt because they had to clear the kickstart lever.

Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • firffighter

Posted May 24, 2007 - 01:01 PM

I bought my first XR600 this past winter and did not like it at first, but have been riding it more often and am liking it more each ride. I love the endless torque, and that you can lug the thing down to nothing without killing it. I also love the fact that these bikes are virtually indestructable and take little maintenance. I am thinking about trying my first GP off road race this fall with my XR600. I wonder how many off road XR600 riders are left out there who havent dualsported theirs?

• XR_Dude

Posted May 25, 2007 - 04:43 AM

I have been riding my XR 600R since I bought it new in '96. I wouldn't say the bike is industructable, but it does require less maintenance. It took me awhile to really learn how to flick it around, but once I learned to kick the back end out in sweeping turns, it really made the bike fun to ride - it's a blast! I had to dual sport the bike because there are not many places left to ride in my area and we need to able to link areas on the road. :)

• bork

Posted June 01, 2007 - 05:55 AM

Ditto dude!

• thunderhog

Posted June 08, 2007 - 09:29 AM

I've got a 93 xr600r and I love it! It's "dual sported", plated in WIS. Not much for techy electrics though. Old xl speedo, acerbis hi/low, no horn, no blinkers, and has a brake light. It is a hog! Very fast and has great low end torque. It seems that it could climb anything as long as you can hang on. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.