Clutch Actuation Problem

6 replies to this topic
  • Kawabuggy

Posted May 21, 2007 - 03:11 PM

I have a problem where in my clutch cable cannot be adjusted any further.
At the clutch cable, there is no adjustment left with the adjuster as it is all the way out. Likewise, it is the same way at the engine mount location.

Do you think this is s stretched clutch cable? Possibly the wrong cable for the bike?

I have had problems getting the bike into neutral while idling. You can't get it into "N" unless you turn the motor off. Also, the bike will creep if you sit with it idling in gear while holding the clutch.

Should I just spring for a new cable, or do you think something mechanical may be wrong with the clutch assembly inside the motor?

• XR4DEZ

Posted May 21, 2007 - 03:26 PM

Sounds like it's time for a new clutch(creeping and no adjustment), I usually replace the cable at the same time.

• Jon-D

Posted May 21, 2007 - 03:57 PM

Sounds like it's time for a new clutch(creeping and no adjustment), I usually replace the cable at the same time.

My thoughts as well. As a check, you can replace the cable first and see what happens. After that point, pull the clutch and check the tolerances (plates, hub, springs, etc.) to confirm any worn parts.

Let us know what you find...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nate992v

Posted May 21, 2007 - 05:18 PM

Does it slip when you are riding it? Ride a gear high and hit the throttle. If the engine revs without the usual pick up, it pretty much confirms the clutch. Cables are cheaper than clutches. Replace that first. Or, take a known good one off of the same bike and try it out.

• martinfan30

Posted May 21, 2007 - 07:51 PM

try a cable first, sounds like it wont fully disengage. clutch plates can also cause this if they are sticking or warped possibly. if you have no more adjustment, that should be a cable that is stretched.

• Firelyle

Posted May 22, 2007 - 12:54 PM

Sounds to me like its time for a new clutch and cable setup. Let us know what you find...

• Kawabuggy

Posted May 23, 2007 - 06:19 AM

Ordered the cable and it should be here next week. Ordered it from E-bay so that is why it will take a few days. Once installed, I will post back to let you guys know how it goes.

If it does not fix the problem, I will pull the clutch cover and have a look to see what is going on in there. The bike has not been slipping while riding. This I hope is a good sign that it is just the cable. I don't mind having to replace the clutch, what I fear is ordering the clutch, and then pulling the cover only to find there is another piece that I need. I usually ride every weekend and don't want the bike to be down. My practice up to this point is to do all of my preventative maintenance BEFORE problems arise. I order parts one week, then install them the next when they arrive.

I am taking a camera with me on my next ride and will post a link.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.