Which jets are included in the GYTR AIS Removal Kit?

14 replies to this topic
  • arwun

Posted May 21, 2007 - 08:37 AM

I just bought an '07 WR450, disconnected the gray wire, shortened the throttle stop, removed the snorkel, and added a White Bros silencer. I have started it only a couple times in the past in stock form & only for a short time. After adding the mods, I tried starting it today, and it did not want to start; I threw a charger on the battery & waited an hour or so. I then tried starting it agin, and got it to go this time... spiting & backfiring some. However, it would only stay running while the choke was on; when I turned the choke off it would stall in about 15 seconds unless I kept the rpms higher. Then I noticed my leg getting hot and to my surprise saw the pipe getting RED HOT.

I have done some searches on here & see that this is somewhat typical for these bikes, as they run very lean, especially after performing the free mods + an aftermarket silencer. I ordered the GYTR AIS removal kit when I bought the bike (p/n: GYT-5TJ93-69-01), but I can't tell if it has all of the jets that I need to properly richen it up, or if I need to purchase more. Once the kit comes in, will I have everything that I need to cool this beast down? What's all included specifically? I can't tell from the GYTR picture.
http://www.yamaha-mo...itemdetail.aspx

• arwun

Posted May 21, 2007 - 09:11 AM

Now my dealer is saying that the kit is on backorder, with no accurate ETA from Yamaha

I'm worried, can I ride w/o installing the kit, or will I overheat & have a meltdown?!? :)

• arwun

Posted May 21, 2007 - 09:45 AM

Should I just order a Dynojet or the JD Jet Kit & cancel the order for the GYTR AIS removal kit? I'm not sure that I really care if I remove the AIS, but I do need to richen it up.

• dominator426

Posted May 21, 2007 - 10:31 AM

Kit includes a different needle and pilot fuel jet, no idea which ones though. You better get the proper needle for your setup. I didn't need a kit to seal off AIS on my 426... Have you tried opening your pilot fuel screw at all? How many turns out is it at now? You can find the right jetting from others with the same setup at near the same elevation, most likely with a JD kit.

• DanielGalloway

Posted May 21, 2007 - 10:32 AM

About three weeks ago my local dealer told me that my kit was supposed to ship out on the 22nd (tomorrow). If it doesn't, I'm canceling the order and going with the JD Jet kit.

As for the jets, it's my understanding that the GYTR kit comes with an adjustable needle, a 168 main jet and a 48 pilot. You will also want to consider buying an adjustable fuel screw from Zip Ty or MSR. In addition to the jets and needle, you will get a YZ throttle screw.

Daniel

• KennyMc

Posted May 21, 2007 - 02:13 PM

I picked up a GTYR kit for my 2007 WR450 over the weekend. It came with a #50 Pilot Jet, #175 Main Jet, #110 Main Air Jet and a Leak Jet that doesn't give the size.

• arwun

Posted May 22, 2007 - 08:49 AM

I couldn't wait any longer, and decided to order a JD Jet Kit + ZipTy fuel screw. Hopefully, they will be here soon.

Why am I paying $100 for this jet kit vs $45 for the GYTR... plus I get the plugs to remove the AIS w/ the GYTR version. It feels like I'm missing something, but it looks like a lot of you guys have the JD jets, so I'm assuming that it's worth the money.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BajaFool

Posted May 22, 2007 - 12:25 PM

Arwun,
What you missed was the part where the person that sold you the JD Jet Kit applied the Vasoline

• Rick_R

Posted May 22, 2007 - 01:29 PM

The GYTR kit I bought had the incorrect size Main Air Jet (thread size) to small. After arguing with with the parts guy at the the shop I bought it from. I had him pull another kit off the display, I showed him it also had the wrong size, he tried to tell me it was a millimeter bigger than the leak jet. Finally he gave me the number to the Yamaha help line. I explained the issue and had the correct jet within a few days mailed to me.

• TSFRANKLIN

Posted May 22, 2007 - 01:33 PM

The GYTR kit I bought had the incorrect size Main Air Jet (thread size) to small. After arguing with with the parts guy at the the shop I bought it from. I had him pull another kit off the display, I showed him it also had the wrong size, he tried to tell me it was a millimeter bigger than the leak jet. Finally he gave me the number to the Yamaha help line. I explained the issue and had the correct jet within a few days mailed to me.

Rick R, how long ago did you receive your Kit?...I should be getting mine anyday and I am hoping this has been resolved...

• antigrav

Posted May 22, 2007 - 07:39 PM

If you call Yamaha in Marina del rey CA they have the kits on the wall and I got one when I bought my bike.. I bet they would send you one by mail... and it would take a couple days, just talk to the guy in parts. I bought my bike there last month and bought the kit at the same time. And YES Yamaha did send out the kit with the wrong jet, but thier kits have been fixed and the correct jet put in. I've had no problem EXCEPT that they gave me an extra leak jet in the kit #110 and I had to ask which one was the correct one... it was the #45. But I think that only happened in my kit...

• Rick_R

Posted May 23, 2007 - 08:06 AM

The kits they had on the wall at Long Beach Motorsports still had the wrong jet, the parts guy wouldn't listen to me though. If you read the instructions the Main Air jet is 1 mm larger OD which is about .025. You can visibly see the difference.

Another beware!! My vaccum plug for the small diameter outlet on the head cracked (the clutch cabel rubs against it). Don't know how much dust I sucked through it. Need something better than a rubber plug.

• JimL

Posted May 23, 2007 - 01:30 PM

antigray, I believe your second 110 " leak jet" is actually your paj to be installed in the mouth of the carbs outer rim on the intake side

• keithwinn

Posted May 23, 2007 - 05:22 PM

Can anyone who has applied the GYTR kit or JD kit comment on how much power increase they percieve (sp??) from this one modification? thanks!

• DanielGalloway

Posted June 01, 2007 - 05:22 PM

About three weeks ago my local dealer told me that my kit was supposed to ship out on the 22nd (tomorrow). If it doesn't, I'm canceling the order and going with the JD Jet kit.

As for the jets, it's my understanding that the GYTR kit comes with an adjustable needle, a 168 main jet and a 48 pilot. You will also want to consider buying an adjustable fuel screw from Zip Ty or MSR. In addition to the jets and needle, you will get a YZ throttle screw.

Daniel

Picked up my GYTR kit today, it came with a 48 pilot, no main, and an adjustable needle. I installed the new needle and pilot jet, as well as a #40 leak jet and an MSR adjustable fuel screw. The good news is, the bog is gone, but the bike still doesn't start any easier. I plan on tweaking it a bit when I get a chance.

Daniel

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.