Electrical Question

7 replies to this topic
  • pman13

Posted May 21, 2007 - 08:27 AM

There isn't a general maintenance/tech forum so I'll just throw a question here. What kind of electrical connector do you use when you need to connect three wires? I'm trying to finish some wiring for my new headlight and taillight and I haven't found anything that really looks robust enough for off-road use.

Thanks.

• martinfan30

Posted May 21, 2007 - 09:12 AM

the best thing to do is solder and shrink tube. this way it wont loose conection or get high in resistance over time due to offroading.

• pman13

Posted May 22, 2007 - 05:08 AM

I'm not a big fan of soldering wires together because then you can't take it a part when you need to repair/replace something. Any other ideas?

• martinfan30

Posted May 22, 2007 - 06:37 AM

wirenut!!:) :ride: :bonk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • suharianu

Posted May 22, 2007 - 06:55 AM

I would use weather proof connector like this on ebay:
Posted Image

• martinfan30

Posted May 22, 2007 - 08:11 AM

I would use weather proof connector like this on ebay:
Posted Image

that is sweet! did you search connectors?

• Firelyle

Posted May 22, 2007 - 12:50 PM

I'm with Martinfan. If you solder it correctly it is only a small spot that can easily be cut out and replaced if need be. Any type of connector (even weather resistant) is prone to failure. I wouldn't want to be caught out in the middle of nowhere when that "what if" happens...
Just a humble opinion!

• kellismechanic

Posted May 26, 2007 - 03:52 PM

Me Too:thumbsup: I replaced all the connections on my Baja Designs kit to solder and shrink tube, it's not hard to clip a wire and solder it back, and it will never come loose or corode

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.