YZ400F Hotstart System

17 replies to this topic
  • Qwik Gixxer

Posted May 21, 2007 - 07:47 AM

HELP!!!!!!! Just bought a 98YZ400F. Someone has disconnected the Hotstart setup. There is a place on the frame where it is supposed to be but its been removed and the line going into the intake manifold is plugged (With a Golf TEE!) My right foot may never be the same. The price was 1G below bluebook so I am not dissapointed. The bike makes Great power and pulls like crazy (Jetting is a little off though) Is the Hotstart neccessary ? Or is it just make it a little easier to start?

• teddy81

Posted May 21, 2007 - 07:49 AM

i have a kx450 and the hot start broke off during a race and I called Kawasaki they said it wasnt necessary just make sure its closed, I am sure yours is the same way.

• John221ex

Posted May 21, 2007 - 07:52 AM

You are going to miss that when it's stalled and hot. It really helps to get going again.

John

• Qwik Gixxer

Posted May 21, 2007 - 08:05 AM

Thanks John. Thats what I figured. I guess I will have to spend some money

• jayh300

Posted May 21, 2007 - 08:34 AM

i have a 99 400 and had never used the hot start. one day I needed it and mine was stuck shut. the plunger would not pull. I did the zip ty racing remote hot start that mounts on the handle bars. much easier to use imo.

• Qwik Gixxer

Posted May 21, 2007 - 08:36 AM

i have a 99 400 and had never used the hot start. one day I needed it and mine was stuck shut. the plunger would not pull. I did the zip ty racing remote hot start that mounts on the handle bars. much easier to use imo.

Where did you get it.Price?

• Qwik Gixxer

Posted May 21, 2007 - 09:05 AM

Called ZipTy and they are seeing if they have the pieces neccessary for the kit.

• jayh300

Posted May 21, 2007 - 09:18 AM

it was on the zip ty website. i think they listed it for the 400 specifically. It came with everything needed. even the plug for the air box.

• Qwik Gixxer

Posted May 21, 2007 - 09:20 AM

No longer a stocked item (not enough demand. he is seeing if he has the parts to do a kit.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jayh300

Posted May 21, 2007 - 09:33 AM

that is too wierd. on the website it shows they have them in stock.
part number HSS0001 and shows to fit all yzf's and some ktms. search by products, then spec bike and it comes right up.
I just got this same setup less than a month ago.
good luck
jay

• 2wheels-drz

Posted May 22, 2007 - 07:10 AM

i have a kx450 and the hot start broke off during a race and I called Kawasaki they said it wasnt necessary just make sure its closed, I am sure yours is the same way.

WOW, I think you where feed alittle BS there....like sure the bike will start, but it deffo will take a few kicks more. i would have liked to see that guy tell bubba, "you don't need a hot start, just kick it over a few times more" i'm surprised at kawi giving you an answer like that:eek:

• grayracer513

Posted May 22, 2007 - 08:33 AM

He may have been trying to say that you can keep using the bike until you get it fixed, not that it was totally unnecessary.

• Qwik Gixxer

Posted May 22, 2007 - 03:24 PM

My YZ will start when its hot but its anything but easy.

• AlkalineOne

Posted May 22, 2007 - 05:42 PM

i had a 98 yz400f and man that thing ran hot! but i never needed the hot start. the thing would often overheat, steam everywhere..., and it would still kick over on the first strong kick.

however, i would get rid of the golf tee...

• Qwik Gixxer

Posted May 23, 2007 - 02:46 PM

I did. Capped the outlet on the manifold. its not gonna help the starting problem but it does look a lot better.

• wi_zee_ef

Posted May 25, 2007 - 09:01 PM

Hey Qwik, I have a DrD bar mounted hot start. It's useful if you are climbing a hill & stall, then want to kick it over without falling off the slope trying!

I have the old stock parts if you want. Send me PM if you are interested.

• Qwik Gixxer

Posted May 26, 2007 - 03:03 PM

Check Your PMs

• felix 222

Posted May 26, 2007 - 06:51 PM

i use it for starting about 10% of the time. it does come in handy after having stalled.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.