What Oil?

25 replies to this topic
  • TyeeHusky

Posted May 21, 2007 - 07:41 AM

Up until now I have been running Yamalube in my 07 WR450.

What oil are you guys running and happy with?

I was thinking of going with yamalube 4R 10W-50 but wanted to see what some of the people with four stroke knowledge thought.

Thanks in advance.

• ETP

Posted May 21, 2007 - 11:37 AM

I was running synthetic, but when I got my Rekluse clutch, Rekluse recommended Rotella oil. Its available from Wally World and cheap. I replace my oil every 400 miles and don't push the bike that hard, so don't see any point in running any of the performance oils.
Plenty of threads on this topic, so use the search engine.

• SXP

Posted May 21, 2007 - 11:40 AM

I was running synthetic, but when I got my Rekluse clutch, Rekluse recommended Rotella oil. Its available from Wally World and cheap. I replace my oil every 400 miles and don't push the bike that hard, so don't see any point in running any of the performance oils.
Plenty of threads on this topic, so use the search engine.

Second that for the Rotella. However, I go no more than 200 miles on my 07 and 300 miles on my 99 between changes.

• SJMC_DON

Posted May 21, 2007 - 01:35 PM

Maxima Semi Synthetic 10-40W... I was using Yamalube but having clutch issues... no more:thumbsup:

• byggd

Posted May 21, 2007 - 01:37 PM

I run Rotella T synthetic.

• clark4131

Posted May 21, 2007 - 01:56 PM

I run Amsoil full synthetic in mine with a Rekluse and have no issues. I replace the oil every 3 rides or 150 miles, whichever comes first...SC

• WR_Dave

Posted May 21, 2007 - 02:30 PM

I'm on about the same service schedule as Clarke4131 , but I have been using OPTI-4 since I went 4 stroke in 2002 and I have been very happy with it. Previous to that I used OPTI-2 for over 10 years in my 2 strokes with great success. I still use it in my chain saw and weed whacker. :) WR Dave

• storm 800

Posted May 21, 2007 - 03:15 PM

I'm on about the same service schedule as Clarke4131 , but I have been using OPTI-4 since I went 4 stroke in 2002 and I have been very happy with it. Previous to that I used OPTI-2 for over 10 years in my 2 strokes with great success. I still use it in my chain saw and weed whacker. :) WR Dave

I also use Amsoil in everything I own! economicle product an when you look at very econical. In my truck I have ran it since new 25,000 mile's on one oil an one filter. With over 200,000 miles an 10 oil changes You do the math for saving's
Oh yeah its about 50.00 for a compleat oil change an filter. My bike I change way more often but thats from hard use an shared transmision. but I will go 400 miles or so. I have even sent the oil in to have it annalized. Hasent ever came close to failing.
My 2 cent's

• Tough Guy

Posted May 21, 2007 - 04:29 PM

I use 5w-40 Rotella T synthetic....

Chris

• kevinwr450f

Posted May 21, 2007 - 07:18 PM

storm... two words..... spell check.... and you're right, Amsoil rocks!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TyeeHusky

Posted May 21, 2007 - 11:05 PM

Thanks guys for the advice. Will look into purchasing one of or more than one of the mentioned brands and giving them a try.

Once again, thanks.

• 04WR450man

Posted May 22, 2007 - 01:48 AM

My 426 Has always been run on Silkoline Pro 4 synthetic 4-stroke engine oil and done many thousand miles problem free, not cheap though!

• David Hopkins

Posted May 22, 2007 - 04:13 AM

http://www.belray.co...t.fsp?pid=13611
This is what i use bel-ray thumper oil 20w40 this is the shit :)

• xr250ryder

Posted May 22, 2007 - 06:08 AM

I use Yamalube, but is there anything cheaper that I can get but more durable? If so where could I get it? :) Im also pretty new to the whole WR450 thing, I came off a XR250 and I was curious to know how often to change the oil, the manual says every 500 miles. Only problem was that when I searched I saw so many varying numbers, I don't know how often to change. Is every 300 miles to much?

P.S. Sorry I'm kinda off-topic but it least it's still related to oil :ride:

• WGP

Posted May 22, 2007 - 08:52 AM

If you pull the dipstick and the oil doesn't look brand new, change it...Usually 100-250 miles.

I also use and love Belray Thumper Oil :)

• ETP

Posted May 22, 2007 - 10:57 AM

If you pull the dipstick and the oil doesn't look brand new, change it...Usually 100-250 miles.

I also use and love Belray Thumper Oil :ride:

Agreed, and the dipstick is usually showing the cleanest looking oil at the top.
I go 400 miles absolute max, but usually change somewhere between 300 and 400. And when drained, my oil still looks kinda brown, but not black at that point. If I thought my oil was getting very discolored at 200 miles, I'd change it before then.

Yamaha recommended is every 600 miles or five rides, I think it was.

Lots of threads about oil changing. And lots of strong opinions. Someone mentioned that until he sees test data that shows better engine wear due to more often than the manufacturer's recommended intervals, he doesn't see any point in more frequent changes. I haven't heard of any but maybe some of you guys have? :)

• hotdog7

Posted May 22, 2007 - 05:53 PM

I was wondering why so many different weights I see amsoil 10-40 mobil 1 15-50 rotella t 5-40 is something different in one brand then the other?:)

• ADVnaut

Posted May 22, 2007 - 08:29 PM

This link is to a study comparing many manufacturers oil. It is long but very interesting for someone who really wants to know how their oil performs. I personally won't use a full synthetic in an engine until it has around 1000 miles on it because synthetics lubricate so well that rings and other mated parts might not seat right. The myth about bearings not spinning and therefore wearing flat due to synthetics being too "slick" has been busted though. In a modern 4-stroke turning 10K+ rpms I would go 500 before changing from the dino oil. I run Amsoil MCV 20W50 exclusively in my Harley that is air cooled and much harder on an oil's temperature boundaries. The study answers your question on one oil rating to another.

I don't run the synthetic in my WR because I feel the limitation of the filter necessitates very frequent oil changes that I can avoid due to the superior filter I get from Amsoil for my other bikes and vehicles. Good luck.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf

• xr250ryder

Posted May 23, 2007 - 03:03 PM

Alright, thanks for the info guys :)

• JRWYW

Posted May 23, 2007 - 11:26 PM

I use 30wSAE pennzoil. The guy at the MickyDs drive through window recomended it, cuz that is what he uses in his 94 Honda Civic. He said pennzoil can withstand the pressure of 89FWHP, and with my bike being under 60FWHP its more then adequate. :ride:

oh and I've always used Bel-ray in my 125 2smoke...and I shall in my 450 :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.