XL600 vs XR600 CDI unit

2 replies to this topic
  • ere109

Posted May 20, 2007 - 08:49 PM

Greetings all. I'm currently restoring an '86 XL600R, and have run into a few snags. The previous owner cut all of the wiring out of the bike - even the harness. But I've bought just about every part to put the bike back to stock. There are still a few gremlins. While the XL wiring harness has a six-wire single plug CDI connector, my bike came with a two-plug (two and four wire) CDI from an XR600. My question: is there some electrical/timing advantage to the XR600 CDI that should make me consider hacking up this pristine wiring harness, or are they the exact same unit with two different receptacles?
Here's a link to my full rebuild.

http://www.advrider....ad.php?t=224984

I'm at the point now where I've got the wiring problems all figured out. I just need to know if that XR CDI was put in there for a performance reason, or just because the entire bike is a hacked up mess. Also, does anyone have a burned up old CDI - with the six-plug connector still intact? I sure could use it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ere109

Posted May 21, 2007 - 11:57 AM

Anyone with help?

• robrose77

Posted June 18, 2009 - 07:14 PM

your message is old but i actually am having cdi problems now and my xl600 has the 2 prong and 4 prong wire connectors attaching to the cdi....so thats not the stock one? its was running fine on it

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.