XR650R Starting inconsistant - Autodecompressor bad?

6 replies to this topic
  • Shinyboat

Posted May 20, 2007 - 05:40 PM

I just bought a 2001 XR650R in great condition. Stock engine and exhaust. I've started it from cold probably 8 times plus many times warm and it has had a consistent and reliable procedure. It starts first kick most of the time.
1. kick through a few times with decompresser pulled in
2. let go of decompresser and push through until the clunk, or compressor stroke is hit
3. pull in decompresser and push down 2-3 in.
4. let go of decompresser, rise the kickstarter and give it a swift kick.

Well I went out yesterday on my first day ride with it and before suiting up I started it normally. After a few minutes of warming up I shut it off until we were ready to go. I get on it, go to start it and can't feel the clunk. This is odd. I kick through and can't find it. It felt as if the decompressor was decompressing without pulling it. I disconnected the cable and it didn't change anything. I kicked through a few more times to see if it would come back. I decided to start it and it started and ran fine. However I was nervous about it. I called around and no one knew anything.

I called the previous owner and he said that he had never experienced this before.

We drive back home and drop by a local shop and a tech told me that it has a centrifugal auto decompresser that sometimes causes it to do this. Once the engine starts running the decompresser or disables and will not cause problems. It is more of an annoyance because it is more difficult to find the compression stroke for starting.

After hearing this we went out to a local place for an afternoon ride and the bike runs great. An odd twist is that about one out of every 6 times starting it, the clunk occurs. The other 5 times it goes right through it.

However, this makes me nervous. Is there an auto decompresser? Is it decompressing when it shouldn't be? Is this a serious problem? What can I do to fix it?

• DiabloCaballo

Posted May 20, 2007 - 08:23 PM

Every bike has it's own personality, it doesn't sound like you have a prob. My bike is the same way, just run the kick through until you feel it, you'll figure out what it likes.:)

• akuleboat

Posted May 20, 2007 - 08:37 PM

Mine does the same thing. Sometimes when I am trying to find that Top Dead Center hard spot it just keeps kicking easily. When this happens I usually just give it a swift kick and it starts right up. Just make sure that you have kicked it through enough times to make sure you are not going to hit TDC mid kick.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Shinyboat

Posted May 22, 2007 - 05:26 AM

Every bike has it's own personality, it doesn't sound like you have a prob. My bike is the same way, just run the kick through until you feel it, you'll figure out what it likes.:)

The problem is that I can't feel it.

• Billahjack

Posted May 23, 2007 - 02:05 PM

My stock bike does this also. If I have too much speed on the kick starter, then the motor coasts right by TDC. It will usually fire up just fine though.

You may want to change your oil a couple times in the first month to make sure everything is running really clean.

• InternalCombustion

Posted May 23, 2007 - 05:40 PM

What akuleboat and billahjack said.

Mine does same thing ocassioanlly. I just slow down my strokes and the auto-decomp disengages and I find TDC.

One slight change I'd suggest for your starting drill: once you find TDC and pull in the manual decomp, just nudge the kick lever down an inch or so, that's all that's needed.

Ride safe.

• tirebiter

Posted May 23, 2007 - 06:04 PM

Once the decompressor has be activated, it doesn't release till the engine has started.
Been there, you don't have a problem..

Related Content

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.