Is It Possibly To Have Too Much Low End

15 replies to this topic
  • slacksaw

Posted May 20, 2007 - 04:49 PM

New to four strokes but it seems my bike stalls easily when going too slow(insert your go faster joke here) or tight cornering. The bike bought used from a past tt member came with a 14 front and 52 rear. I guess im wondering if 52 is too much, should I change sprockets, front or rear, would it help the bikes urge to stall when slowing down,cornering and just going slow or is it something I need to learn how to deal with? oh yeh its a 2001 426 if that helps

• bigbluerider4life

Posted May 20, 2007 - 04:55 PM

change to a 13t front and you should be good

14 is way steep

• Wiz636

Posted May 20, 2007 - 04:58 PM

Does it still have the manual compression release? If so, do the auto decompression cam mod and it will help with that.

Your 14/52 gearing is lower than stock, but not much...if anything it should help prevent the low speed stalling.

• slacksaw

Posted May 20, 2007 - 05:02 PM

yes is stills has the decomp lever, I havent got around to doing the hot cams mod yet,but from what I read here It will be the next thing I should be doing to it

• yz_for_me

Posted May 20, 2007 - 08:09 PM

Gearing down should help with stalling. Not make it worse.

When is it stalling, while you are braking for the corner, coasting or when you get back on the gas?

• grayracer513

Posted May 20, 2007 - 09:06 PM

change to a 13t front and you should be good

14 is way steep

Way steep for what? 14/49 is OEM gearing on the YZ426. 14/52 is already the same as dropping to the next size smaller front sprocket from stock. What you're suggesting is the same as fitting a 55 tooth rear on an otherwise stock setup.

• dwnlowx

Posted May 21, 2007 - 12:43 AM

yeah sounds like the gearing is fine you might need a rekluse or an i cat

• slacksaw

Posted May 21, 2007 - 01:57 AM

it wants to stall when braking going into corner or when I down shift cornering. basically whenever im going to slow down to turn, or just slowing it down. if i dont clutch it will stall when braking going into and through the corner never when im on the gas . if I just put it in first and try to coast it wants to cut out,i have to be on the throttle a little.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pezman04wrx

Posted May 21, 2007 - 02:15 AM

Try simply turning up your idle a little bit ... It did wonders for my stalling issue ... Which by the way is the same exact thing you described :) ...

• Yamahafan

Posted May 21, 2007 - 07:52 AM

Try simply turning up your idle a little bit ... It did wonders for my stalling issue ... Which by the way is the same exact thing you described :) ...

If none of these work, consider getting a heavier flywheel weight. Total cost = $150 including installation.

• Fastest1

Posted May 21, 2007 - 09:11 AM

The auto decomp cam whether it be hotcams or yamaha will relight the motor if stalled and still rolling , the stock cam wont do that! The higher idle suggestion should help you. Do the cam mod asap you will love the results.

• slacksaw

Posted May 21, 2007 - 11:00 AM

thanks for all the great info, my next mod is the cam and I will let you know if the idle adjustment works :)

• xcessjw

Posted May 21, 2007 - 12:46 PM

I have a 450 and my son has a 426. We both had the same issues as you. I just added a flywheel weight and a slip on muffler..problem solved. I think the flywheel weight made all the difference..i can lug around like a tractor now. My son didnt do the flywheel but did do a complete DR.D exhaust. His is worlds better now but I am convinced the flywheel weight is the hot set-up and it is a hell of alot cheaper than exhaust. Turning the idle up a bit does help as well.+

• Captaincautious7

Posted May 21, 2007 - 01:31 PM

Idle up and one finger on the clutch as stated should solve the vast majority of your problems. What I continue to not understand is the recomendations to lower gearing to the point that you virtually eliminate 1st gear to begin with therefore leaving it in second therefore continuing to have the same problem with a different gear. I'll be the first to admit I'm not an expert, but I don't get why some press for such low gearing? Please explain.

• Maximus83

Posted May 21, 2007 - 01:59 PM

it wants to stall when braking going into corner or when I down shift cornering. basically whenever im going to slow down to turn, or just slowing it down. if i dont clutch it will stall when braking going into and through the corner never when im on the gas . if I just put it in first and try to coast it wants to cut out,i have to be on the throttle a little.

Are you locking up the rear wheel when "breaking going into and through the corner" ? I think the bike is always going to stall if you break hard enough without the clutch. If your clutching and it is still stalling then tighten your clutch cable so it engages earlier. Also, like people are saying, increase the idle and if you have to, rev a little to keep the RPMS up while coasting. Fenesse that throttle/clutch combo and your bike should rarely stall...unless you get into one of those OH :) situations

• slacksaw

Posted May 21, 2007 - 04:32 PM

ok went to the indoor track tonight(out door is too far away indoor is 5 min away)anyway I turned up the idle and it did help didnt stall once but I was also feathering the clutch more. so all in all I think the idle was set too low, I may still try the fly wheel wieght. Just a side note I put a new kenda carlsbad on tonight also and would have to say after two hours I love it, hooks up great. give it some time to see how it last though will be key. anyway thanks everyone for all the help :) :ride:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.