New to me xr650r

6 replies to this topic
  • bigredxr

Posted May 20, 2007 - 04:22 PM

I just picked up a clean 01 xr650r for $2600. The bike has the stock muffler with what looks to be a removed baffle towards exit of muffler. The side panel is opened up with stock air filter and metal screen, and the carb has a 170 main jet. The bike is hard to start and breaks up in the mid to upper end. If u put the choke at half way the bike will regain upper end. Took carb off and removed pilot and main and clean carb well w/carb clean and blew out transfer ports with shop air, turned fuel screw out 2 turn from stop. Same results and then began pouring fuel out overflow tube. Obviously I have a float issue as well. Wondering if someone would be kind enough to give me stock jet sizes and float height so I can start with a clean slate.:)

• drop

Posted May 20, 2007 - 04:36 PM

I wouldn't go back to stock jet sizes to start. They're crazy lean. What's your altitude there? You probably want the 68s pilot and 175 main depending on your altitude. That would probably be a better place to start.

• bigredxr

Posted May 20, 2007 - 04:45 PM

My altitude is 930 ft above sea level and would you happen to know the correct float height? 170 main to small huh? Thanks for the quick reply!!!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Old_Man_Time

Posted May 20, 2007 - 05:23 PM

My altitude is 930 ft above sea level and would you happen to know the correct float height? 170 main to small huh? Thanks for the quick reply!!!!!

Your very close to the correct float height. That's the problem. Raise the float height 2mm. This will stop the overflow and prevent the flooding situation you now have.

• drop

Posted May 20, 2007 - 06:05 PM

Check your pilot jet too. You'll want at least a 65s but the 68s would be better for that altitude.

• drop

Posted May 20, 2007 - 06:07 PM

Here's a jetting chart: http://www.xr650r.us/jetting/

• bigredxr

Posted May 21, 2007 - 02:41 AM

Thanks for the help guys. :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.