K&N or stock filter..?

6 replies to this topic
  • FLjoyride

Posted May 20, 2007 - 03:40 PM

I was talking to the owner of a local bike shop the other day and he said not to use a K&N filter in sandy terrain. Since sand is just about the only terrain there is down here I was wondering how accurate his assumption was. I just bought a K&N and now I'm not sure if it was the right thing to do.

• NFS179

Posted May 20, 2007 - 03:45 PM

instead of stock get a no-toil or twin-air filter, much better than stock

• FLjoyride

Posted May 20, 2007 - 03:57 PM

I thought i already had a K&N twin air filter.. it has two peices anyway.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted May 20, 2007 - 03:58 PM

K&N's are known for letting dirt pass thru them. Some say that when K&N's are oil properly that they work fine, but I'm not willing to risk my intake valves to find out.

IMO, a quality foam filter with a good sticky oil like Fab1, FFT, or PJ1 will serve you better than the K&N.

• FLjoyride

Posted May 20, 2007 - 04:21 PM

Any other opinions? I have only ridden the bike once since I got this $80 filter and I don't really want to buy another one.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted May 20, 2007 - 05:54 PM

Any other opinions? I have only ridden the bike once since I got this $80 filter and I don't really want to buy another one.

If you havent used the filter yet take it back! Get what nfs179 said which was the no-toil or twin air filter which is foam also. I use the no-toil filter and the no-toil oil and love it! Iam thinking of getting the twin air filter since one of my sponsors is carrying it because they have the biodegradable oil like no-toil and makes cleaning a whole lot easier:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted May 20, 2007 - 06:50 PM

K&N air filters will both filter better and flow more air than most typical oiled foam elements IF they are cleaned and oiled correctly and completely. The problem is that this is much more difficult to accomplish with a pleated gauze element than with foam (it's every bit that important to do a good job with foam, too). The usual unfortunate result is that most K&N's in actual service are not properly prepared, and don't work well as a result.

IMO, the best thing to do in a sandy environment is to use a good high quality dual layer foam filter, and use a product like filter skins over it to keep sand from sitting on the filter.

Just always remember that it's the oil that filters, and not the foam.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.