New 01 wr426 Need some info from the Experts

1 reply to this topic
  • Larry_Bond

Posted February 09, 2002 - 11:10 AM

First, just want to say what a wealth of info this page has been! I just purchased my bike although i wont pick it up for a few weeks i thought i would start learning all i can about maintaining it. If i get get some advice on proper break in, pre-1st ride greasing and so forth i would be grateful! I will be doing all minor maintenance (oil changes etc, but i will let dealer do valves and all) I have read that the new WR come with little grease in critical areas and i am unclear about taking the bike apart just to grease these areas before riding, is it something i should let the dealer do or try myself? Well, i am a newby to the new 4strks as i am military and havent ridden in 8yrs or so so any and all info would be appreciated. Cant wait to ride!! thanks to all who reply and make this a great site!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Woodzi

Posted February 09, 2002 - 12:14 PM

Don't worry about the grease if the bike is brand new. You only need enough grease to lubricate the bearings. Any excess will just attract dirt. Most people like to see a lot of grease, but it really isn't necessary.

You should however service your bearings periodically. How often depends on the conditions you ride in and whether you use a pressure washer to clean your bike. Sand, mud and water are very bad for bearings. This is an easy job to do yourself.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.