05 Wr 450 Engine advise

6 replies to this topic
  • Narrdo

Posted May 20, 2007 - 10:22 AM

Sorry for long post...

A few weeks back I was riding the dual sport at Renfro Valley. I hit a water hole and dumped it. I picked it up immediately and rode on but started noticing more engine noise that normal. It was pouring that day, and we decided not to finish but at some point I checked the oil on the dipstick and it was very grey. Knowing that I had some water in the engine, I finished out at a much slower pace that normal and came home.

I changed the oil and the filter twice before leaving this weekend for the Buckey dual sport. Engine sounded great and there was no noticable difference in performance. We rode hard, had beautiful weather and great trails.

However, with most of the first day over, only a few trails left and I hear a loud clack, clack, clack or tic, tic , tic. I stopped, "what the hell was that"? My buddy rode up behind me and I told him what I heard. He said that he did not hear it so i fired it up again and it did not do it right away but after a few seconds it did it again, but then it stopped and I finished that trail. When I came to the road, We all stopped and with the rest of my group there it started again. I checked the oil and the dipstick was dry. It was then that they informed me that I was smoking a bit all day, but it was not much and they did not want to worry me about it.

They went to the nearest gas station and bought some oil, put it in and the noise was not going away. I was towed the rest of the way in.

Here are the questions. What is the probable diagnosis for the oil leak and now the extremely disheartening metalic clacking noise? Do you think its top end and bottom end or just one or the other?

I have very little 4 stroke engine knowlege, Can anyone help with tips and tricks to repair? What are some of the pitfalls I should be looking for? I would like to make my LBL trip second week of June, So I am motivated to get to work on this thing.

Anything will help, thanks in advance.

Narrdo

• face_plant

Posted May 20, 2007 - 10:34 AM

i can ony say use kerosene to clean the inside and buy a 5 gal bucket of rotellaT and flush the machine.....water is not the enemy it is mud and grime..if you was running hard the oil may be in the airbox...

hope i helped but i dont know the exact symptoms ..

aaron

• Narrdo

Posted May 20, 2007 - 12:53 PM

No oil in the airbox, just the usual dust and stuff. Filter is still pretty clean. Also, I Just began to drain the oil we put in after the noise started. When I pulled the dipstick, oil poured out of the dipstick hole. This newer oil that has only been run in for a few minutes total, looked terrible.

Are you recommeding cleaning with kerosene by putting it in the engine and then running is for a few seconds?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tnl

Posted May 20, 2007 - 01:02 PM

How about the breather hose? Did it get submerged in H20 and could this have allowed H20 to get into the engine? I believe it's the carb breather hose next to the shifter on the yz's anyway? Find the oil leak, fix it and re run the engine and re evaluate things. Go from there. Were you able to buy the correct kind of oil at a gas station?

• Johnny34

Posted May 20, 2007 - 01:43 PM

How about the breather hose? Did it get submerged in H20 and could this have allowed H20 to get into the engine? I believe it's the carb breather hose next to the shifter on the yz's anyway? Find the oil leak, fix it and re run the engine and re evaluate things. Go from there. Were you able to buy the correct kind of oil at a gas station?

The breather hose on the 05 WR450 was rerouted to the airbox. The previous models had the hose routed down to the bottom of the bike. If the oil was grey then water was clearly inside the engine regardless of where the hose went. I would flush the engine and check the valves. Where does the noise sound like its coming from in the engine? Top (valves and cam), bottom (crank, rod, etc), left side, right side? Does the noise occur during idle or do you have to be moving to reproduce it?

Oil coming out of the dipstick hole means you were way over filled. The WR only take like 1.1 or 1.2 Qts, and thats with a filter change. Not sure what excessive oil or high oil pressure would do. Gotta check the manual for that one.

• Narrdo

Posted May 20, 2007 - 02:26 PM

Yes Im sure it had water in it, at the trail we put in two full quarts. Which now I'm sure was to much, (Even though my friends were saying 1.75 was about right. I insisted it was less.)

I only ran it again for a few minutes, It will fire and run. At idle, little or no noise, but you barely have to touch the throttle to get it knocking. It sounds lower to me, but its pretty loud and hard to pin it down.

• Asgeir

Posted May 20, 2007 - 03:06 PM

This has happened to me twice.

It takes 3 to 4 oil changes to get rid of the water out of the oil.

The water will turn to mist inside the engine when it heats up and give strange sounds.

You need to complete drain the oil, replace the filter (if it is a paper) and then put fresh oil in, run the engine untill hot, then the same process like 3 to 4 times. (it may be enough to replace the filter twice during the whole process)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.