bad crash, feel like hangin it up..what now?

54 replies to this topic
  • BergArabia

Posted May 25, 2007 - 06:02 AM

I have not had anything serious in the injury department. But it could have been. I broke a collarbone and av vertabrae last Sept. Now the Vertebrae as you know could have been a problem. I was lucky though..
While I was healing I was researching and planning my next bike purchase..

I don't know if I could stop riding bikes. Buit then I don't ride competitively, I just play around so I can take it the way that I want to..

• 6fiddy

Posted May 25, 2007 - 08:49 AM

I sure appreciate the responses from all of my dirtdoggin' brothers:thumbsup:
I never meant to sound like a whiner, I just wanted to know how others in my spot have dealt with it. I have a list of injuries that sound ridicoulous and they have taken a toll on me and my mind.
Broken left wrist 2 times 1988
Broken left arm, folded upward at the elbow, all the way back (gross) 1989
torn left knee, 18 stitches 1989
2 bruised right shoulders 2006
Broken tailbone (coccyx) That is the WORST!! 2006
Now this collarbone, broke in 4 places. 2007
25 yrs of injuries, has put a fog in my mind:crazy:

Probably the most aggrevating thing is I was not doing anything ballsy when I went down! I was following a buddie on a new part of our private track which is quite novice for me. If I got hurt trying to clear the 60ft table then I would feel better about this. But to go down at 10-15 mph on a EASY trail leading t a easy double that I was going to roll over anyway so I could gauge it 1st before i hit it pisses me off so bad. My friend just built a new track for me and my buds that is awesome and he grooms/adjust's it just for our taste is a dream come true and now my confidence is crap! Ive decided to RIDE as soon as I can and I am looking for the BEST protection available for the collarbone. Any ideas? Let me know! Thanks for all the encouragement and advise my friends:applause: This is what this website is ALL about. If anyone in SW FLA wants to hook up and ride some cool areas, I have access to 2 private tracks. Near Sarasota. Just PM me and we can make plans ok? Thanks! Jeff Reeves aka 6fiddy

• grayracer513

Posted May 25, 2007 - 09:00 AM

Probably the most aggrevating thing is I was not doing anything ballsy when I went down!

I recall almost 40 years ago that Gary Nixon, then National #9, and a former AMA Grand National Champion, who had been involved in some really hairy spills on the race track, broke his leg badly enough to require pins while riding trails behind his home at 15 mph. It's the stupid stuff. :)

• RD73

Posted May 25, 2007 - 09:11 AM

you know what she said to me the 1st night im laid up in bed with all this? she says "how about you use the bowflex while your recovering and get stronger and lighter and I will buy you some MX lessons from the Pro-Guy at St Petersburg MX (sunshine mx) to help get your cofidence back again..

First of all, sorry to hear about your accident.

Tell us that she really didn't say that. That is awesome! What support when you really needed it.

Have fun riding with your kids and take care.

• Wiz636

Posted May 25, 2007 - 03:11 PM

The penalty for going a little too slow over a jump should not be a broken back.

I totally agree. I don't like that races at some tracks have become nothing more than jumping contests. I enjoy bangin' bars, fighting for the same line, etc but I will only jump 'easy' doubles.

• KTM303

Posted May 25, 2007 - 11:17 PM

6 fiddy a good protection for collarbone fracture is a leatt brace. A lot of collar bone's break because of the helmet hitting down and breaking it. I'm not saying all but many, the brace limits neck movement and as a bonus it stops your helmet breaking the collar bone.
I agree with greyracer there are jumps you just need to take easy and roll over
if thats what it takes. I never ride fully commited the risk is too high.

• kiethy26

Posted May 25, 2007 - 11:50 PM

I'm 27 and have had rsi for 7 years. After a 3 hour ride my hands are swollen and useless for 3 days. I have modified my bike extensively to make it easier to ride and will continue to. I have given it up and sold bikes many times but it makes me feel alive.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Polar_Bus

Posted May 26, 2007 - 03:33 AM

I sure appreciate the responses from all of my dirtdoggin' brothers:thumbsup:
I never meant to sound like a whiner, I just wanted to know how others in my spot have dealt with it. I have a list of injuries that sound ridicoulous and they have taken a toll on me and my mind.
Broken left wrist 2 times 1988
Broken left arm, folded upward at the elbow, all the way back (gross) 1989
torn left knee, 18 stitches 1989
2 bruised right shoulders 2006
Broken tailbone (coccyx) That is the WORST!! 2006
Now this collarbone, broke in 4 places. 2007
25 yrs of injuries, has put a fog in my mind:crazy:

Probably the most aggrevating thing is I was not doing anything ballsy when I went down! I was following a buddie on a new part of our private track which is quite novice for me. If I got hurt trying to clear the 60ft table then I would feel better about this. But to go down at 10-15 mph on a EASY trail leading t a easy double that I was going to roll over anyway so I could gauge it 1st before i hit it pisses me off so bad. My friend just built a new track for me and my buds that is awesome and he grooms/adjust's it just for our taste is a dream come true and now my confidence is crap! Ive decided to RIDE as soon as I can and I am looking for the BEST protection available for the collarbone. Any ideas? Let me know! Thanks for all the encouragement and advise my friends:applause: This is what this website is ALL about. If anyone in SW FLA wants to hook up and ride some cool areas, I have access to 2 private tracks. Near Sarasota. Just PM me and we can make plans ok? Thanks! Jeff Reeves aka 6fiddy

Hey Jeff,
"Old fart to "Old fart" I completely see where you are coming from! I wish I had fraction of the determination I had 15 years ago.... I always get "scared" when I hit the track now. My job, my family, I can't afford to snap a femour and be out of work for 3 months......
Back in '01 I case'ed a technical 40 ft double jump that had a "kicker" lip at the top of the face of the jump. I banged myself up REAL bad, but I only broke my thumb, but I limped around in a LOT of pain for weeks. The thumb injury set me back 6 weeks. Having no hand SUCKS !!! That was the writing on the wall I am getting a bit older....
I mainly do track days now. In NO way am I giving up dirt, I just ride within my abilities and enjoy the dirt. If a young amature is putting the pressure to me, I just hold a line and let him get around me.
I have a quote that I imply to all my young up an coming rider friends "Youth an Talent is NO replacement for age and tretchery !"

• Ga426owner

Posted May 26, 2007 - 07:16 AM

Hey Jeff,
"Old fart to "Old fart" I completely see where you are coming from! I wish I had fraction of the determination I had 15 years ago.... I always get "scared" when I hit the track now. My job, my family, I can't afford to snap a femour and be out of work for 3 months......
Back in '01 I case'ed a technical 40 ft double jump that had a "kicker" lip at the top of the face of the jump. I banged myself up REAL bad, but I only broke my thumb, but I limped around in a LOT of pain for weeks. The thumb injury set me back 6 weeks. Having no hand SUCKS !!! That was the writing on the wall I am getting a bit older....
I mainly do track days now. In NO way am I giving up dirt, I just ride within my abilities and enjoy the dirt. If a young amature is putting the pressure to me, I just hold a line and let him get around me.
I have a quote that I imply to all my young up an coming rider friends "Youth an Talent is NO replacement for age and tretchery !"

It must be an old fart common injury...broke thumbs and tweaked wrist......I still am in pain after 7weeks......I want to ride tomorrow, but if I can not hold on....forget it......maybe next weekend.....:)

• grayracer513

Posted May 26, 2007 - 07:47 AM

6 fiddy a good protection for collarbone fracture is a leatt brace. A lot of collar bone's break because of the helmet hitting down and breaking it. I'm not saying all but many, ...

The group of athletes that breaks more collarbones than perhaps any other is road cyclists. They have no issues with helmets impacting the collarbone, and yet the statistics stand. Leatt can make that claim if they want, but the fact is that the vast majority of collarbones break simply from landing on your shoulder too hard.

• hutcher

Posted May 27, 2007 - 05:21 PM

Dude I have been there. It truely sucks. a year and a half ago I got t-boned in a corner and snapped my clavicle in three places, dislocated the shoulder and shreaded all of the ligaments and tendons. The surgeon put me back together again, had to cut off the end of the collarbone and graft some other bone onto it, then literally tied what was left of the ligament back to the end of the collarbone. Two surgeries and 16 months later I raced again last night for the first time since the accident. There's just nothing like the joy of dirtbiking. BTW - I'm 46 and not too fast a healer anyone either. Don't bail too soon. I was ready to sell everything and take up fishing after the first surgery, but things do get better. Hope you heal well - keep us informed

• OcotilloBound

Posted May 28, 2007 - 04:16 PM

Gray's right, shoulder injuries aren't ended just from wearing a Leatt. And his buddy Jody knows, there's a guy who has been putting in more years of riding, not just putting around but racing competitively for more years than lots of posters here, and he doesn't do stuff that will knock him out of it anymore. But he is a big proponent of the Leatt anyway. Like Clint said in Magnum Force, A man's got to know his limitations. Me, I'm 41 now and have only been riding again for the last couple years - I stopped after moving onto a sailboat and living that life for 20+ years. But the hankering to get back on a bike was too strong and so I did it after moving to the heart of it in Temecula and being only an hour 15 from Ocotillo. I have yet to crash hard since getting back into it because I know I'm not as resilient as I used to be. But each time I ride I try to push myself a little harder so I know it's coming. I have and use all the safety gear I feel I need. And riding streets is not an alternative, my best friend was killed last month by a hit and run driver in Escondido while riding down the street, not recklessly or anything, just BOOM, he's dead. You'll hear plenty of stories about crashes in the dirt on these pages but not a lot about dying, although it happens. But just find your comfort zone and build back into it and keep it up - it isn't something that only 17 y.o. kids can do, as evidenced by Gray, Jody, and guys like Eyvind Boyesen. Those guys can and do race all the time and usually don't get hurt because they know their limits. And yeah, the worst crashes often happen in stupid places because you don't think it'll happen - it can happen anytime, be prepared anytime for it and it'll happen less. And take some classes on learning how to fall - if you get away from the bike and tuck and roll with it you'll find your shoulders will sustain a lot less injury. You can't always avoid injury but you can oftentimes if you do it right.

• Tonson

Posted May 29, 2007 - 01:03 AM

Hey, I'm 52 years old and own and ride a '05 YZ250 a 06 WR450F and my new passion wagon a 07 WR450F. I hadn't ridden a bike for 35 years and in those days gone by I was pushing it to the limit all the time. As a consequence I had hundreds of "offs" -some big some small. As a teenager your body can take a battering and recover quickly - especially if you are a rugby player, as I was.

I ride in 40+ Degrees C and +90% Humidity in desert conditions with big dunes. I always wear full protective gear even though its hotter than hell. It saved me a few times with huge endos when the bike landed right on my back and helmet. I learned my lesson ( who said old dogs can't learn new tricks?) and backed off a little and got back into the fun of it. That's what dirt biking is all about. You only have one chance at living so at least have some fun while you can still mount something! I totally agree with Zamfield!

• 6789boat

Posted May 29, 2007 - 09:09 PM

I'm 56 and started riding again after 35 years as well. I recently got a 2006 DRZ400s. Similar to your comments, I ride with all the gear, the best that I could find as I simply want to reduce (because I know I can't eliminate) all the risk inherent to bike riding. Yes , the gear cost a couple of grand, however, my insurance deductible is a a couple of grand per year as well!!

Knowing how to ride is primary and riding below my skill level helps as well. I am hoping that the gear simply reduces the chance that I seriously injure myself. As far as the LEATT BRACE goes, I bought one based on my awareness that a number of pro racers and some of the Dakar guys continue to wear them. I hate wasting money, but to me it appears practical to give it a try.... Each to his own.

BTW, I once was racing across Europe on a Triumph Bonneville, passing 3 semi's in a row, etc. wearing only a helmet, hiking boots, and some cheap gloves. Now, I have a diferent perspective on bike riding.....:)

• CrusRuss

Posted May 29, 2007 - 09:24 PM

Man just slow down a bit... if you are getting old and want to just ride for fun, then go with some mates or family and enjoy yourself, it doesnt have to be a race with big jumps - you can still have a lot of fun on a dirt bike without scaring the hell out of yourself. As your confidence builds you can take slightly more risks but your skill imrpoves at the same time so its not really all that much riskier.

By the sounds of it you were really, consistently, riding out of your skin which is when accidents are most likely to happen.

Take it easy and enjoy the sport, its not a race :)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.