650R Street Tires

8 replies to this topic
  • hill5150

Posted May 18, 2007 - 03:04 PM

May be looking at putting Street only S/M tires on the 650 for the summer as it is boating season now....The knobbys aren't so hot at 90 on the pave.......Any recommendations, it will be on the stock rims...Thanks....Ride On......:)

• cleonard

Posted May 18, 2007 - 03:38 PM

Are you talking full on 100% street tires, or more of the supermoto thing.

There are actually a bunch of street tires that can be used. There are a many for the rear. Harley makes bikes with 21 inch rims so there are a few for the front. If cash is a concern, there is the Kenda K657. Comes in sizes for both ends. I think that they have at least decent traction and are better than most street Cheng Shin. Not very long lasting though. A little better tire would be a Dunlop D404 which also comes in the correct sizes for both ends. Those are just a couple that I happen to know about. There are many more, but expect good tires, like Avon's, to cost more.

I have a D404 in 120/80-18 that has about 90% of it's tread and I don't have a street bike that uses that size.

• needsprayer

Posted May 18, 2007 - 07:19 PM

• motomonte

Posted May 19, 2007 - 04:45 PM

I just mounted a new set of Pirelli Scorpions on my bike.So far they hook up pretty good .2nd gear wheelies come easier (I guess less tire spin than the kendas).The front is a scorpion S/T 90/90-21 and the rear is an A/T 140/80-18(no fitmment problems at all,tough I have the chain guard removed).Took them for a high speed run (90+) and they are definitely way better than knobbies.If you're doing mostly street I'd recommend the s/t's.I still haven't tested the tires in the dirt but I think that they'll take fire roads fairly well.One other thing,the bike is now about 1 1/2 - 2 inches higher...good luck

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • goblin127

Posted May 19, 2007 - 05:01 PM

Metzler saharas front and back are very good,but kind of pricey.

• xrfred

Posted May 20, 2007 - 06:53 AM

you can get a dunlop dirttrack tire for the rear and a trailwing style tire for the front. I have a duro brand tire on my front that looks like trailwing and an Irc roadwarrior? rear try not to go bigger than 130 series for back the dunlop is availabe through screaming eagle parts catalog or there is a guy out of michigan on ebay that has some of them. have fun

• smicer

Posted May 21, 2007 - 07:48 AM

hi...not sure if these set is available in your area....you might wanna check out Dunlop Trailmax D604...

• Denn10

Posted May 21, 2007 - 01:35 PM

CLEO you saying you got that tire to get rid of it?? I might be interested where you in CA?

• bcone

Posted May 21, 2007 - 05:00 PM

Avon Distanzias... Maybe cheaper than the Metzlers. Good long wearing road tire that will take no a bit of dirt when need be.

Related Content

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.