Switching a Wet sump back to Dry sump?

1 reply to this topic
  • jrspawn

Posted May 18, 2007 - 11:35 AM

Hey whats up? I have a couple wet sump 426 engines here im wanting to switch back to dry sump. I was wandering if anyone else has been down the route and has any tips. I never mess with the wet sump kits as i dont like the setup, so any help/advice on what to do and what to replace to get it back to dry sump would be Greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Justin

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 18, 2007 - 01:03 PM

What you will need to do is to get both oil lines and unless you can find the original oil pump separator plate (which is serviced as a part of the outer (feed) pump assembly), you will need to buy both oil pumps.

If I remember correctly, the kit blocks off both external oil fittings and then modifies the oil pump by removing the return rotor and replacing the separator plate with on that allows the feed pump to get its intake oil from the sump screen through the cavity ordinarily occupied by the return pump rotors. If the previous owner does not have the original parts, you'll need to buy them new. Then, too, they may be worn enough to warrant replacement.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.