Help stripped chain adjuster !!

4 replies to this topic
  • yamie_rider

Posted February 08, 2002 - 07:52 PM

Ok guys help me out,

My chain adjuster is locked tight in my swing arm. What the heck should I do. Anything you got will be great

thanx

• Mr._Bandicoot

Posted February 09, 2002 - 02:27 AM

Yamie,

Try heating up the area around the bolt to get it out. The threads are probably toast, so the best thing you can do after removing the bolt is to install a stainless Helicoil. The Helicoil will be stronger than the aluminum threads anyways. A little anti-seize lube will prevent the threads from locking up in the future. Good Luck,

Band...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Scott_F

Posted February 11, 2002 - 05:56 AM

Ditto on the heat, and lots of it. Penetrating oil can't hurt also. Your threads are probably still fine. Whatever you do, DO NOT put enough torque on the bolt to snap it off. You will be hating life then.

In the future - anti-sieze!!!

• jamracing

Posted February 11, 2002 - 10:02 PM

Every time I take my rear wheel off, I take the adjusters out and lube them (whatever's handy, either water resistant grease or anti-seize). I also spray lube into the swingarm, just so it'll soak up some of the moisture.

• yamie_rider

Posted February 12, 2002 - 06:47 PM

Thanx for the help it worked. You guys rule!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.