03 yz450f, noisy???

6 replies to this topic
  • srfer71

Posted May 17, 2007 - 12:36 PM

I just finished rebuilding my motor. Before i rebuilt it, the motor was noisy. It goes away when you're riding, but still makes me nervous. Also, after i rebuilt the motor it still is noisy. The valves are all within specs and it runs good.

Also, the chain. When i have the bike propped off the ground and running in first gear the chain moves around/ skips a bit. I heard this was normal because there is no pressure/weight on the rear wheels which means there is no pressure against the tranny. Well when im riding, if im just coasting down the street in 2-4 it doesnt do it, but when i go into 1st(remember im coasting) it doesn't seem to skip until i go really slow.
Im guessing this is all normal since there is absolutely nothing wrong with the motor.

I guess im just to paranoid

• 642MX

Posted May 17, 2007 - 01:25 PM

Your tranny should not skip in any gear.

• srfer71

Posted May 17, 2007 - 01:41 PM

It doesnt necassarilly skip, it jst seems to skip. When im riding it fine, but mostly when the bike is up off the ground it seems to skip. I was told its normal because there is no pressure on anything.

Also is the yz450 a generaly noisy bike?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • srfer71

Posted May 17, 2007 - 02:10 PM

Also i read somewhere that the clutches are noisy, is this true?

• John407

Posted May 17, 2007 - 02:13 PM

Yes and yes. The motor is a little noisy and the "skipping" you mention is because it's a single cylinder 4 stroke and there is only one power stroke. Greyracer explained it much better in another thread. Sounds normal to me.

• srfer71

Posted May 17, 2007 - 03:17 PM

Ok great. thanks
I just finished rebuilding/putting in some new gears i nthe motor and I'm just very paranoid.
Tomorrow i will be driving out to the desert to break it in. I didn't want to drive it out there and have something go wrong.

I can't test it around my house because i have my paddle on, lol.

I will give a ride report after i get back.
Thanks

• srfer71

Posted May 19, 2007 - 05:48 PM

Ride report.

Bike ran awesome, motor ran good, coolant wouldn't stop leaking from the hole under the water pump/impeller cover, and i broke the kick start shaft when it kick backed really hard. Thats why a wear boots

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.