yamaha frames breaking!!!!!!

53 replies to this topic
  • KJ790

Posted May 18, 2007 - 02:10 PM

If my frame was gonna break I would have broke it last night. I came up a little short on a 110ft uphill double and thought of this thread as I was trying to stretch out the last couple feet. My frame is fine, but I'm pretty sore today.

• Polar_Bus

Posted May 18, 2007 - 03:24 PM

This whole thread is a total crock of $hit. I have NEVER heard of any YZF frames breaking, or even developing stress cracks. I've worked for a Yamaha dealer since '99 . The kid is just a newbie puke striving for some attention..... (and it worked). If YZF did in fact have questionable frames, you would hear about it first from the experts at your local tracks....

• grayracer513

Posted May 18, 2007 - 04:25 PM

As I say, I've heard of about 3 total credible reports of cracks developing on steel frames here on this forum. No actual failures, even when they cracked enough to leak. And, as I also said, the bikes involved had a lot of hard air time on them. Never on the AL frames.

But as for the user being a newbie, IMO, that's as questionable as the rest of the posts he's put up so far.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted May 18, 2007 - 04:57 PM

Well I dont beleive it!! because a friend of mine that races in the mega series which is a series that covers VA.,TN.,NC.,GA.,SC.,KY.,and Alabama which is the same series that I run, He rides a yz 250f and 450f in the pro class and if you could see him ride:ride: and how high he jumps:eek: he would have broke everyone of his bikes. He is probally one of the best pro-amature riders on the east coast with just one title short of tieing james stewurts record of the most titles won at loretta lynns nationals:applause: . Check out his results athttp://www.victory-sports.com/ in the 125-250 pro and the 30+expert class. That is why I beleive in the yamahas he has rode them for over 20 years:applause: . His name is kevin Walker really nice person and friend! http://www.victory-sports.com/ click on mega series then click on results and then go to points abouve the results page and click on points.

• 642MX

Posted May 18, 2007 - 07:25 PM

Nuke him Gray. :ride:

He hasn't defended his post or shown any proof. :)

• Ga426owner

Posted May 19, 2007 - 03:39 AM

Well I dont beleive it!! because a friend of mine that races in the mega series which is a series that covers VA.,TN.,NC.,GA.,SC.,KY.,and Alabama which is the same series that I run, He rides a yz 250f and 450f in the pro class and if you could see him ride:ride: and how high he jumps:eek: he would have broke everyone of his bikes. He is probally one of the best pro-amature riders on the east coast with just one title short of tieing james stewurts record of the most titles won at loretta lynns nationals:applause: . Check out his results athttp://www.victory-sports.com/ in the 125-250 pro and the 30+expert class. That is why I beleive in the yamahas he has rode them for over 20 years:applause: . His name is kevin Walker really nice person and friend! http://www.victory-sports.com/ click on mega series then click on results and then go to points abouve the results page and click on points.

Kevin is a great rider and what a nice guy/family.
The only frames I have heard of cracking were the steel frames on the 99 - 02...usually at the headstay area..............

this thread is ridiculous :)

• DPW

Posted May 19, 2007 - 08:19 AM

Posted Image

"Beaton and Homans were also the talk of the night on Saturday after a horrific crash led to an immediate red flag of the AX Open main. Beaton clipped a lapper landing from a double and bounced into another lane of track right into Homans’ path causing a near head on crash. The force of the impact split the frame of Beaton’s bike in two."

http://racerxcanada....ips---winnipeg/

• yamaharider324

Posted May 19, 2007 - 08:29 AM

Posted Image

"Beaton and Homans were also the talk of the night on Saturday after a horrific crash led to an immediate red flag of the AX Open main. Beaton clipped a lapper landing from a double and bounced into another lane of track right into Homans’ path causing a near head on crash. The force of the impact split the frame of Beaton’s bike in two."

http://racerxcanada....ips---winnipeg/

i believe that. bikes don't supposed to crash head on. that is when bikes and bodies break. that is the first time i've EVER seen a yamaha frame broken.

• DPW

Posted May 19, 2007 - 08:35 AM

i believe that. bikes don't supposed to crash head on. that is when bikes and bodies break. that is the first time i've EVER seen a yamaha frame broken.

agreed...that is why I posted the info behind the picture so folks wouldn't start freaking out.

• grayracer513

Posted May 19, 2007 - 08:43 AM

Yeah. That's not quite the same thing, is it?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BergArabia

Posted May 19, 2007 - 08:58 AM

"I was just racing desert and all of a sudden i snapped the handlebars right in half". Does this statement seem true or would there likely be a lot more detail in order to explain why such a phenomenon would happen? I don't think frames snap spontaneously thats all.

I snapped the handlebar on my Banshee desert riding. Did a little endo jump.. Very lame, ended up with a two piece handlebar. I was glad it was the bar and not me.. ( I am still a learner I guess)

But the Banshee is kind of heavy.. New bar was like 30 bucks and had it fitted the same day.. :). Just making the point that handlebars do break. Never heard of the frame thing. Oooh actually not true. I had a frame break on a Suzuki 185 (2 smoker) 20 years ago. Was really strange... Broke at the weld, so I had it repaired with a stronger weld.

• kawirider6080

Posted May 19, 2007 - 09:14 AM

this guy could be telling the truth...ive heard of a case where a kid had a ttr 125 and the frame cracked...much smaller frame and stuff but it shows some yamahas frames will break...now im not saying this guy actually cracked/broke his frame but it can happen

• moochie

Posted May 19, 2007 - 01:21 PM

this guy could be telling the truth...ive heard of a case where a kid had a ttr 125 and the frame cracked...much smaller frame and stuff but it shows some yamahas frames will break...now im not saying this guy actually cracked/broke his frame but it can happen

I broke the frame on my huffy bicycle jumping some hills behind my house when I was a kid. Anythings possible!

:)

• beanmop

Posted May 19, 2007 - 03:17 PM

Even with the handle bar story and the head on collision break, we can pretty much assume that the original poster is a trolling :) hole... There is no validity to the story and he hasn't even reposted.

I know i just contributed, but can this thread please cease and desist?

• btc20mx

Posted May 19, 2007 - 09:21 PM

I snapped the handlebar on my Banshee desert riding. Did a little endo jump.. Very lame, ended up with a two piece handlebar. I was glad it was the bar and not me.. ( I am still a learner I guess)

But the Banshee is kind of heavy.. New bar was like 30 bucks and had it fitted the same day.. :). Just making the point that handlebars do break. Never heard of the frame thing. Oooh actually not true. I had a frame break on a Suzuki 185 (2 smoker) 20 years ago. Was really strange... Broke at the weld, so I had it repaired with a stronger weld.

I don't know what to say to this response. It was just a scenario and it had a point that major components of mx bikes don't fail under normal riding conditions.

• greentyler

Posted May 19, 2007 - 09:24 PM

i was racing at that arenacross in a different class and was watching from the stands when that happened! it was about the scariest crash i've ever seen!

• Polar_Bus

Posted May 21, 2007 - 06:59 AM

You need to be comparing apples to apples. A TTR 125 frame's design is an entry level sport trail bike. A YZ frame is designed for all out competition. I can certainly see a TTR frame failing from a heavy 150 lb real agressive rider hammering a TTR through whoops, and long jumps....

• Yamahafan

Posted May 21, 2007 - 07:49 AM

You need to be comparing apples to apples. A TTR 125 frame's design is an entry level sport trail bike. A YZ frame is designed for all out competition. I can certainly see a TTR frame failing from a heavy 150 lb real agressive rider hammering a TTR through whoops, and long jumps....

TTRs are known for having spaghetti frames, which is why BBR make a frame cradle to prevent stretching.

http://www.bbrmotors...20-YTR-1201.htm

P.S. I can't believe their are 4 pages to this bogus thread.

• dirtrider04

Posted May 21, 2007 - 12:37 PM

ok so it broke, well what so hard about taking a picture?

• AZcrRider

Posted February 22, 2009 - 04:57 PM

Here is a pic..

Posted Image

Ridden once a week, by a vet rider. I do tend to run into the square edges and come up short sometimes, but always rode it out.

THis happened after I hit a pot hole on an 80 ft. step up landing area, as well as 3 cracks in the front wheel nipple holes.

So after 2+ years will Yamaha do anything or should I even contact?

THanks for any input.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.