Any downside to the Dunlop 606s?

35 replies to this topic
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted May 18, 2007 - 08:20 AM

Anyone ever consider the MT83 Scorpion Pro for the front. It's DOT and every thing I ever read about it was good. I have one but have not mounted it yet.

I have run the 606 and the MT21 rears. I feel the MT21 is a hair better than the 606 off road but not a huge difference until you get in the sand or really loose gravel then I definitely prefer the MT21. The 606 wears noticeably better although the MT21 is not real bad in the wear department.

I've run the '83 front, and it didn't suit my riding style.

Its low-profile, and rewards an aggressive riding style, but tends to wash when you're going mellow.

The MT18 HD is DOT, looks much like the '83 except its higher profile and the side knobs aren't diagonal.
The '83 has a more open pattern, as well.

Both work really well, overall. The '18 holds a slight street edge, I think.

Dave

• philipstjohn

Posted May 18, 2007 - 03:11 PM

Oh boy. I was getting sold on the 606s until the last few posts, since in souther Jersey here there's LOT'S of soft sand. Hmmm. The Pirelli 21s were my second choice. But I think I'll give the 606s a shot first since the overall feedback is very good and they have to be a step up regardless. What's the size most of you are using front and rear? As soon as I find out the best size (ie the biggest that will fit) I'm ordering a set:prof:

When in Florida, I ride in the sand all the time off road. They call it "sugar sand" here. I run the 606's as my dual sport option on my XR650R and have no problems. I do not drag my knee in the corners on the payment, but go all out in the dirt and have liked them. I feel I could race them if I had to, but I would opt for other tire options depending on your race conditions. :)

• brad21

Posted May 18, 2007 - 03:24 PM

Man, I rode with a guy on a Beta 525 a couple of weeks ago that was riding Metz Sahara's front and rear and he had absolutely no problem anywhere we went. And we did some serious dirt, singletrack, loose climbs etc...

I think it also may have helped that he's a really good rider.:)

Has anyone else ridden the Sahara with success??

edit: wow they're freakin' spendy. :ride:

• xr650l bum

Posted May 18, 2007 - 03:49 PM

The pirelli MT18 comes in a 80/100 21. I have been running non DOT 80/100 looking for the widest front. I will definitely be trying the MT18. Does anyone know what the widest front tire DOT or NON DOT you can get in a 21. I am running the 130 18 606 in the back and like it. It holds up well. I swear I had seen a 140 18 606. If I can find that again I will try it next!

• davidarnott

Posted May 18, 2007 - 04:43 PM

Im running a set of Maxxis 6006 on XR650R they turn a lot better than the stock Dunlops (they should as they are hemispherical in shape) they are almost silent on asphault and do well in loose dirt and mud. I consider them a superior dirt and gravel road tire which is what I got them for the rear is wearing a lot longer than the stock tires so far. I did push the front tire out once on some hardpacked clay which I havent had happen before. the front tire is narrower than advertised and too skinny for me. I want a nice really fat front tire. Ive got a frickin mountian bike tire that is fatter than any dirt bike tire I can find for sale. I dont get it? Fat front tires go over rough terrain way better. they deal with nasty obstacles.

• wheelnut46

Posted May 18, 2007 - 04:44 PM

The 606's sure are popular but I want to try the Bridgestone ED78.
http://www.americanmototire.com/
I love what the ad says about:
EXCELLENT FOR INTERMEDIATE TO HARD TERRAIN
FEATURES RIM PROTECTOR
HEAVY DUTY REINFORCED CONSTRUCTION FOR ANTI-PUNCTURE AND CUT RESISTANCE
OUTSTANDING DURABILITY FOR THE MOST PUNISHING TERRAIN

I need all the help I can get.

Anyone ever use these?

• murgatroid42

Posted May 18, 2007 - 11:06 PM

I didn't like the front D606 on my XR650L. Braking was poor, it gave a headshake at 70 mph, and it was very pressure sensitive. 18 psi on the street would tear it up and make it wear quickly and unevenly; it needs 30 psi on the highway. You'll be constantly adjusting the pressure.

What % on/off road will you ride? A compromise is a TKC80 up front, and a D606 on the rear. The front TKC80 made my XR650L feel like a supermoto; faster turn-in, better braking, crisper handling, no headshake at 80+, not as pressure senstive. It's not as good in dirt, but that's why tires are a compromise.

However, D606's work much better on my green DRZ400S. The front feels much better than it did on the XR650L, braking is OK, and no headshake. :) Maybe my Scotts damper is masking the problems. I like them enough that my new set just arrived from americanmototire.com.

Pirelli MT21's are very popular, but the D606's last longer. The front MT21 wears funny, the row with 2 lugs wears out and the row with 1 does not. YMMV.

• Bibleman

Posted May 19, 2007 - 06:24 AM

Well I guess to summarize, I'm generally happy with the stock Bridgestones :ride: , but they are TRULY "deathwings" in the soft sand here in souther Jersey. The front wheel just doesn't steer, it just plows. The advice about keeping the front end light by staying on the gas sounds good on the surface, but it doesn't take long before you have to slow down and then you're in really big trouble:prof: It's either going to be the 606s or the MT21s for starters - probably the 606s. BTW, my stealer wants 30 bucks a wheel to change tires even if I buy them through him!!:)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • murgatroid42

Posted May 19, 2007 - 08:59 AM

... BTW, my stealer wants 30 bucks a wheel to change tires even if I buy them through him!!:)

So change them yourself. Here are the instructions:
neduro's tire change thread on ADVRider

Get a cheapie motorcycle jack, get the long 15 in. Motion Pro tire irons, put baby powder on the tube, use some soapy solution on the tire to get it on/off, and put some air in the tube before putting the new tire on the rim. It's hard the first time, but it gets easier by the 5th time.

• Bibleman

Posted May 19, 2007 - 10:34 AM

Thanks for the link. I actually was planning on doing so after I got the price.

• goblin127

Posted May 19, 2007 - 12:40 PM

Man, I rode with a guy on a Beta 525 a couple of weeks ago that was riding Metz Sahara's front and rear and he had absolutely no problem anywhere we went. And we did some serious dirt, singletrack, loose climbs etc...

I think it also may have helped that he's a really good rider.:)

Has anyone else ridden the Sahara with success??

edit: wow they're freakin' spendy. :ride:

Yes I have a set that I pretty much wore out,they did well every where except the mud. Hard pack they were great.

• philipstjohn

Posted May 19, 2007 - 02:02 PM

BTW, my stealer wants 30 bucks a wheel to change tires even if I buy them through him!!:ride:

Just do it yourself, and know it is done right... check out the site below :)

http://www.transworl...,656321,00.html

• Bibleman

Posted May 19, 2007 - 05:09 PM

Thank you also for that link. I have it bookmarked.

• Motosprtman

Posted May 21, 2007 - 06:36 AM

Everyone has their own methodology and or preferences for changing tires but they are all essentially the same. Saves you $ and you get the satisfaction of knowing YOU mounted them and not some inexperienced 17 year old in the dealers service department while the Honda certified mechanic sets up Gold Wings.

• murgatroid42

Posted May 21, 2007 - 04:06 PM

...Saves you $ and you get the satisfaction of knowing YOU mounted them and not some inexperienced 17 year old in the dealers service department while the Honda certified mechanic sets up Gold Wings.

And not having the local Honda dealer charge a lot to install the front D606 backwards (it's directional) and then you don't notice it for several months (too late then). :)

• Denn10

Posted May 22, 2007 - 06:25 AM

Get a cheapie motorcycle jack, get the long 15 in. Motion Pro tire irons, put baby powder on the tube, use some soapy solution on the tire to get it on/off, and put some air in the tube before putting the new tire on the rim. It's hard the first time, but it gets easier by the 5th time.[/QUOTE]

Hell with buying a jack go get a Sparklets water crate they work great.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  132 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.