battery help

13 replies to this topic
  • xr650l bum

Posted May 16, 2007 - 05:39 PM

I received my small battery for the crf 450 today. Stoked. Made a bracket to install it in the xr 650l and oops, battery terminals are reversed. Damn it! Is there no battery that is a drop in replacement? If not where can I go to get the little metal terminal ends to make my own cables? Thanks

• martinfan30

Posted May 16, 2007 - 07:56 PM

I received my small battery for the crf 450 today. Stoked. Made a bracket to install it in the xr 650l and oops, battery terminals are reversed. Damn it! Is there no battery that is a drop in replacement? If not where can I go to get the little metal terminal ends to make my own cables? Thanks

relocate! put it in the airbox and this minor issue is resolved! only problem now would be you need an fcr 41 pumper with a pod filter!:)

• xr650l bum

Posted May 16, 2007 - 08:21 PM

relocate! put it in the airbox and this minor issue is resolved! only problem now would be you need an fcr 41 pumper with a pod filter!:)

Come on! When you relocated you had to make new cables. Where did you go to get the cable ends and such? Maybe fcrMx41 if I can see spending the money down the road. I will make due with the Edelbrock right now! I dont believe pod is the way to go when off roading. To much dust!

• martinfan30

Posted May 16, 2007 - 08:47 PM

Come on! When you relocated you had to make new cables. Where did you go to get the cable ends and such? Maybe fcrMx41 if I can see spending the money down the road. I will make due with the Edelbrock right now! I dont believe pod is the way to go when off roading. To much dust!

no new cables made dude! when you relocate you can unclip the existing cables and they are PLENTY long enough to do this job and make it look sano! maybe you are right about the pod and dust, but if you clean(or carry an extra)it regularly, they are great!

• Mogdorr

Posted May 17, 2007 - 02:05 PM

These starters are not exactly high-draw, just get some ends from the local parts store, crimp 'em on and solder. I even just opened up and re-used the old ones.

• lhark

Posted May 17, 2007 - 03:18 PM

I had a longer positive wire from an FZR400 or something like laying around when I did mine. I made my holding bracket out of aluminum to save a little more weight.

• xr650l bum

Posted May 18, 2007 - 01:13 PM

Finished. I also made the bracket out of aluminum. Lots of nice bends so it worked like factory. Change the lead on the neg. Made a complete new pos cable, copying factory, but longer. Now the bike will accept both batteries with a simple bracket change. Fired right up! Love completing mods when doing them right!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted May 18, 2007 - 01:43 PM

doing them right is the key! letsw see it!

• rdsrf

Posted May 18, 2007 - 08:05 PM

Yeah some pics please! I haven't relocated the batt on my bike yet....still checking out other people's stuff and looking for the cleanest installation.

• xr650l bum

Posted May 18, 2007 - 08:19 PM

I did not relocate. I now just use the smaller battery. Shedding the approx 2 lbs.

• martinfan30

Posted May 18, 2007 - 09:15 PM

Yeah some pics please! I haven't relocated the batt on my bike yet....still checking out other people's stuff and looking for the cleanest installation.

xrlbum, not trying to hijak but here you go rdsrf, my relo.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• xr650l bum

Posted May 18, 2007 - 09:51 PM

Martin. If you are going to go through all that, why not go with a smaller battery? You could of gone with the smaller battery, and put all the other stuff in the airbox as well!

• martinfan30

Posted May 19, 2007 - 07:58 AM

Martin. If you are going to go through all that, why not go with a smaller battery? You could of gone with the smaller battery, and put all the other stuff in the airbox as well!

im prob. going to do that. you used the crf450x battery? what are its dimensions compared to the stock one? do you think the smaller one with all the electronics would fit in the airbox with the filter in place? i really like not having that tumor of a battery box behind the left cover!:)

• xr650l bum

Posted May 19, 2007 - 09:33 AM

The 5l-bs battery is approx. 2 1/2'' w, 4 1/2" l, 4 1/8 h. I dont know if you could fit it all in the airbox with the filter, but the one aussie mounted the battery under the seat, on top of the air box. If you were to leave the pod, I am sure everything would fit in the airbox.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.