Spark Plug Gap?

5 replies to this topic
  • goalpostcasualty

Posted May 16, 2007 - 12:39 PM

I have an 04 yz450 and I was wondering what the spark plugs should be gapped to? And does it matter what brand plug you put in it?

• 642MX

Posted May 16, 2007 - 12:46 PM

0.028 inches

• grayracer513

Posted May 16, 2007 - 12:56 PM

The manual calls for a minimum of 6mm (0.24") Pretty much anything between that and 0.35 is good.

No manual?

http://www.yamahaown...ook.com.au/?r=0

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted May 16, 2007 - 01:45 PM

My answer came out of the NGK book.....

• goalpostcasualty

Posted May 16, 2007 - 04:35 PM

No the guy I bought the bike from ruined the manual... or so he said. But I was just checking. I recently had a post on here and I was having problems all of a sudden on how it was running. One day I was riding and it ran like a champ and the next day it was popping and backfiring when I would get on the gas and when I would get off the gas. So I cleaned the carb, jets, etc right and it still didn't help... So I changed the plug out but couldn't get a NGK so I bought a Autolite instead. It ran fine the next time I took it out. I rode it for probably 1.5 to 2 hours and then put it up thinking everything was fine. Ok its been 3 days since and I went to ride it today and it cranks fine and idles fine but when I get on the gas it backfires again! NO FREAKIN IDEA WHATS GOING ON! It couldnt have fouled the plug that quick could it? If you want the whole story look up "YZ450 REVVING PROBLEMS". Thats my post. Any ideas on how to fix it or what might be the problem?

• grayracer513

Posted May 16, 2007 - 05:06 PM

My answer came out of the NGK book.....

No, I meant GPC on the book question. 0.28 fits right in with what the Yamaha manual says.

...so I bought a Autolite instead. I

Autolites are barely adequate for cars. Use the right NGK and you should have better luck.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.