Another flywheel question.

7 replies to this topic
  • silveradoss

Posted May 16, 2007 - 12:06 PM

I want to get a flywheel weight or new heavier flywheel assembly. My question is what is the diffrence between installing a weight and a new flywheel. I know I will have to get a flywheel puller. How hard is it to install either one and where can I get detailed instructions? I am mechanically inclined but have never done this before.

• grayracer513

Posted May 16, 2007 - 12:48 PM

Installing the weight is more time consuming, and should be done with a drill press only.

With welded weights, the weight will never loosen, it will be in balance when you get it, and 100% of the extra weight will be placed where it will have the greatest effect on inertia. They are also a simple remove and replace installation.

• Ganadore

Posted May 16, 2007 - 01:01 PM

I put the GYTR flywheel on mine bike in less than 30 minutes. Very easy to install and it comes with detailed instructions. Basically it involves draining the oil, remove shift lever, remove the left engine cover, remove the flywheel nut, remove flywheel (don't misplace the key), and then reverse the sequence for installing. If I recall correctly, that was about it. All you will need is a flywheel puller, metric socket set and/wrenches, oil, flywheel kit and time. The flywheel kit came with a new gasket for the engine cover.

• grayracer513

Posted May 16, 2007 - 01:14 PM

Once again, draining the oil is unnecessary if you run the bike for about 90 seconds before doing the job to purge the sump.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kxman

Posted May 16, 2007 - 02:12 PM

There are not many things easier. I was changing my oil anyway so that was already out of the way and I didn't have to remove the shifter.

• chadta

Posted May 16, 2007 - 05:16 PM

just tip the bike over on its right side, you dont have to drain the oil for that

• tnl

Posted May 16, 2007 - 06:09 PM

This is my next mod too. Dr. D flywheel weight I guess? Does the owners manual cover any of this procedure? At least a breakdown of parts for reassembly.

• silveradoss

Posted May 16, 2007 - 08:08 PM

Thanks for all of the advise.

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.