Re: Cylinder Head (Cam Cover) removal

1 reply to this topic
  • Icharus

Posted May 16, 2007 - 08:51 AM

07 YZ450F
Just finished break in, only complaint was popping on decel, so I opened the fuel screw to 2.5 from where it was at 1.25. Made a big difference., still a little occasional popping, but bike starts great and runs great so I will leave it there.

Question: I just checked the valve clearances ( all within spec :) )
When reassembling do I need to replace the cylinder
head cover gasket?? the old one looks great and if I do reuse
the old one, should I use a grease or oil on it???

Thanks for helping a Newbie out:worthy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 16, 2007 - 10:53 AM

The cam cover gasket may be reused any number of times as long as it is in good condition. It needs no sealer of any kind beyond the amount that makes it stay in place during installation. For this, when necessary, use a small amount of a contact cement/weatherstrip adhesive type sealer, and use it sparingly.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.