Roll on wheelie in 4th?

17 replies to this topic
  • markturbo

Posted May 16, 2007 - 03:35 AM

I heard a couple riders say they can wheelie in 4th with no clutch on there WR450 with the basic mods done. My bike will come up in 1,2,3, but it will really only come up in 4th on the road off the top of rolling hills. I'm pretty much at sea level and have the air box done, baffle removed, YZ throttle stop, adj needle 4th clip, 168 main, 48 pilot, 40 leak, and about 2.25 turns on the screw. The only thing I have left to try is the screw, but I'm not sure if I would be a little rich or lean there, but from what I've read here I may be a little rich at 2.25 with the 48 pilot.

Any suggestions, or are these roll on 4th gear wheelie WR's a freak of nature, or maybe I just don't know how to ride:excuseme:

• Heat Pumper

Posted May 16, 2007 - 05:58 AM

my bike (06 wr450) will do roll on 4th gear wheelies, My bike is set up the same as yours except I have the gray wire pulled. Maybe thats the difference.

• markturbo

Posted May 16, 2007 - 06:24 AM

Sorry I forgot to mention, I pulled the grey wire.

You have your screw at 2.25 turns out too?

• Audun

Posted May 16, 2007 - 07:01 AM

Mve back on the seat.. I cant even get it up i 3. in normal riding position..

• chambers

Posted May 16, 2007 - 07:22 AM

off topic but whats the grey wire and is it something that needs/can be done on an 02 400?

• Heat Pumper

Posted May 16, 2007 - 07:28 AM

Sorry I forgot to mention, I pulled the grey wire.

You have your screw at 2.25 turns out too?

Ya it is. It does take a little more effort to get it up, but it can be done on flat ground, just pull up really hard.

• StreetbikePimp

Posted May 16, 2007 - 09:34 AM

These 4th gear wheelie guys might be forgetting to metion that they have a larger rear sprocket (52/53) or they have a YZ exhaust cam installed....

• Canuck

Posted May 16, 2007 - 01:34 PM

I heard a couple riders say they can wheelie in 4th with no clutch on there WR450 with the basic mods done. My bike will come up in 1,2,3, but it will really only come up in 4th on the road off the top of rolling hills. I'm pretty much at sea level and have the air box done, baffle removed, YZ throttle stop, adj needle 4th clip, 168 main, 48 pilot, 40 leak, and about 2.25 turns on the screw. The only thing I have left to try is the screw, but I'm not sure if I would be a little rich or lean there, but from what I've read here I may be a little rich at 2.25 with the 48 pilot.

Any suggestions, or are these roll on 4th gear wheelie WR's a freak of nature, or maybe I just don't know how to ride:excuseme:

Roll-on wheelies can be done in any gear with the right technique on almost any bike. Sprockets and cams are irrelevant. Make sure throttle is middle to top half of fourth (or fifth). Sit on the very back of your seat or stand on the pegs. Snap the throttle and yank the bars, your up! Practice keeping your foot on the rear brake to be able to bring the front wheel down on command. Good luck!

• Billahjack

Posted May 16, 2007 - 03:10 PM

A buddy of mine can do 5th gear wheelies on an XR250L. Its all technique. He loads the front, then moves back and drops his butt hard on the rear of the seat to compress the rear while pulling up really hard. At the same time, he is pushing the pegs forward. Its comical on the 250 cuz he needs a few tries and he looks like he's getting it on with the bike. I think he weighs about 220-230 with gear. If you weigh less than 190, then you need more power.

You can try this on a mountain bike before you do it on a dirt bike. BTW, he does this really easy on bigger bikes like the XR650R at 60-70 mph.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fullbore4

Posted May 16, 2007 - 04:32 PM

Your 450 will wheely in fourth like the others said. I have a yz cam and my bike is tricked out including a pipe. This obviously makes it easier to bring the front wheel all the way up in 4th and if I had the ba!!s in 5th. It is technique like the others said.......make sure your not riding into a gusty headwind:eek:

• antigrav

Posted May 16, 2007 - 07:35 PM

Roll-on wheelies can be done in any gear with the right technique on almost any bike. Sprockets and cams are irrelevant. Make sure throttle is middle to top half of fourth (or fifth). Sit on the very back of your seat or stand on the pegs. Snap the throttle and yank the bars, your up! Practice keeping your foot on the rear brake to be able to bring the front wheel down on command. Good luck!

Unless I'm wrong I don't think the original "roll on wheelie" means getting the wheel up by pulling, yanking or sitting on the rear fender. I think the definition of a roll on wheelie is having enough power to bring up the front end without pulling up or using some rear wieght technique.... a power wheelie we should say. My bike wont do that in 4th, but powering out of a corner in third it brings the front up.

• zuch95701

Posted May 17, 2007 - 10:46 AM

have you advanced your timing to yz timing

• BigBadJohn

Posted May 17, 2007 - 02:19 PM

Try alittle raceing fuel like VP110, that will help out :)

• Merlin450

Posted May 17, 2007 - 04:18 PM

Free mods with stock gearing and it'll power up in any gear with no clutch or power up in 1st and ride it all the way through 5th and never let it down. Adjust your riding style or power delivery and see if that helps.

• dl19

Posted May 17, 2007 - 09:42 PM

I can't roll the front up in fourth, and need the clutch on flat ground with good traction. Pavement in fourth still won't do it unless clutch and body are used. Nothing special on mine, JD kit, Free Mods, PM exhaust, Uni filter. If I shift weight and have a little rise with perfect traction I can in fourth with no clutch. No way and I don't believe there is a WR that will pick up the front in 5th stock even with the basic free mods. Ridden a 05 YZF a lot, and it will roll on in 4th (top gear) any time. I love my WR but it is not a YZF in the power department.

• gelean01

Posted May 18, 2007 - 07:24 AM

Forth gear wheelie on my 05'wr450 not a problem. I only have the grey wire cut and throttle stop removed. I just bought the bike NEW this spring, I can do wheelies at a 50mph starts, I sh&@'in I was clocked by the police. I do bounce on the front springs a bit and if I didn't I don't think it would be possible to lift. I find that my bike has a hard time hooking up on gravel, even when I get my bike up the thing is still spinning and shaking while in a wheelie. What ya's think waaybe crappy tires? I don't think the tires are very hard, I only have 500km on them and they are half way gone. I just completed my conversions to get my bike plated and if anyone needs any advice, I would be more than happy to share.:)

• jsproch

Posted May 18, 2007 - 02:20 PM

'04 wr450
Usual mods done:
Jetting
Airbox
stock pipe with GYT-R insert
Grey wire unhooked
Stock gearing

1-3 no problem...occasionally in 4th over a small crest or uphill.

...installed a stock YZF pipe and went one up on the main-

1-4th can't keep her down! 5th gear wheelies only occasionall over a crest or a yank on the bars. 5th gear is very tall and IMO it would take a good deal more hp to roll-on wheelie in 5th.

• MountainMax

Posted May 20, 2007 - 05:50 AM

I have the yz cam and muffler and i can wheelie in 4th without pulling her up, just rolling the throttle, and im running a 48t rear sprocket, but im also 260 pounds with gear on so traction is not a problem......

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.