How many seasons can you get out of a 450 before it is shot?

9 replies to this topic
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted May 15, 2007 - 07:53 PM

I have a 06 yz450f and was wondering about how many seasons I could get out of my bike taking if I run 15 races a year plus practicing through the week until the bike is just shot or wore out. Basing this on that I maintain the bike like changing the oil regular and adjusting the valves and replacing top end and maintaning the suspenion. I have been buying a bike every two years and this is my first four stroke and would like to know if I could get three seasons out of it without having to do a whole lot of maintence on it other than what you have to in order to race. I just want to be more lax with the top ends than on my previous 2 strokes when I would replace the rings every 5th race and rings and piston every 10th.

• Pezman04wrx

Posted May 16, 2007 - 02:51 AM

I guess it all comes down to how you ride ... Racing is abusive, and abuse breaks stuff out of the blue ... That being said, a kid in the neighborhood has an 05' yz450f and rides Southwick and a few other local tracks throughout the year ... He also does about 4-5 H.S. each year and a Turkey Run ... Never mind all the stuff we do every weekend just screwing around ... We've checked the valves about five times now and had to adjust them twice since new ... We just just did a top end on it recently because his dad simply didn't believe that it could be ok and wanted it done regardless ... The rings were ok, and the piston was in great condition except for a little skirt wear ... If you're truely into maitaining your bike (Kinda sounds like you are) I could see a top end a year in your future ... That's really about it other then general up-keep stuff ... I just got an 04' (crated) yz450f last oct/nov and plan to have it for many years to come ... Especially the way I ride :) ...

• Fastest1

Posted May 16, 2007 - 02:51 AM

Depends on what level you race and how fast you are in that class. Do you shift early or at the rev limiter. I would never buy a racers bike! Rumor has it, rings and valves every 10 racing hours. I think that is a bit much, but I aint racing.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted May 16, 2007 - 06:28 AM

Depends on what level you race and how fast you are in that class. Do you shift early or at the rev limiter. I would never buy a racers bike! Rumor has it, rings and valves every 10 racing hours. I think that is a bit much, but I aint racing.

I race in the 25+ and the 30+ amature class and have been finishing in the 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th places, bascially running in the middle of the pack but I have been trying harder to get up front and finished 5th this past weekend in the 30+. I do shift before the rev limiter kicks in but however I do race three weekends a month and practice about the same. Iam thinking about a topend job when I reach 50 hours on my hour meter,right now I have 27.1 hours on it,and havent checked the valves yet because it has been starting on the first or third kick.:)

• Polar_Bus

Posted May 16, 2007 - 08:22 AM

I have been working for a Yamaha dealer since '99, and I rarely sell YZF MX pistons. The last a LONG time relative to 2 stroke pistons. If you think about the fact that 4 stroke pistons are compression loaded only 1/2 the time that 2 stroke pistons are, that tells you that you can expect at least double the top end life. Another added 4 stroke bonus is the fact that the rings and piston skirt is pressure oiled, therefore skirt and ring life is higher. I logged over 5000 mi. on my '02 WR250F with a completely bone stock engine before I sold it in '05. Bottom line, if you change your oil frequently, the YZF's will last a LONG time....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • adamdf

Posted May 16, 2007 - 08:48 AM

IT depends, what kind of riding do you do? Also, whether its off-road or MX, do you ride in sand? Sand is much harder on bikes than hard packed dirt. Another thing, do you change your oil and clean your air filter regularly? Ultimately no one can really answer your question as there are many factors that can determine the lifespan of a motorcycle or any piece of machinery, regular maintenance is key if you want your bike to have a long healthy life. If you maintain your bike properly and i mean you don't take shortcuts in any way, then the only reason you would really need a new bike is becuase you personally want one or because you race seriously and technology has left your current bike behind.

• bboyce

Posted May 16, 2007 - 02:26 PM

It all depends on how you ride the bike and maintain it. The suggestions of replacing the top-end at 50 hours seems really short. These YZ/F's should easily go over 100 hours regardless of how you ride them. Do a search, there have been other threads about how long these machines last.

If I remember correctly, there was one guy who had over 800 hours on his YZ450. Can't remember if he had done a top end job yet or not.

• Markopolo400

Posted May 16, 2007 - 02:30 PM

It all depends on how you ride the bike and maintain it.

Exactly.

If you beat on the engine, I'd rebuild the valve train, piston, and cam chain every year.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted May 16, 2007 - 03:07 PM

Well since I have 27 hours on my 06 450 I dont think I will worry about the top end for awhile or at least until I have 60 hours on it,and I might not do it then as long as it still has plenty of power and starts good.

• Captaincautious7

Posted May 16, 2007 - 04:44 PM

I had around 130 to 140 hrs on my 05crf 450 and it still ran very strong without ever putting a wrench on the motor. It would surprise me a whole lot if my yz doesn't exceed that number by another 30 -50 hrs considering how much better the valve train is supposed to be. Of course, as said alot depends on filter service etc.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.