Filter/screen inside XRL engine?

4 replies to this topic
  • Bibleman

Posted May 15, 2007 - 07:02 PM

I heard there's some kind of screen in the right side of the crankcase that needs to be occasionally cleaned. The owners manual doesn't mention it - only the front downtube screen and the oil filter. Am I missing something?

• Nummie

Posted May 16, 2007 - 08:22 AM

Yes there is a pick up screen for your oil pump.
It is rectangular and it lives right at the bottom of your cases.
Removing the right side cover will give you access to it.
Look at this picture of my '84 XL600R (almost exactly like your XR650L).
You will see the edge of the screen and the 10mm retaining bolt for the screen just below the shift drum plate.
Posted Image

This picture also shows it. It is the bolt in the bottom/middle of the right case.
Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted May 16, 2007 - 09:34 AM

I only clean mine when I am in the engine for some other reason. I have never seen much crud there on any of my XR's and XL's.

• Denn10

Posted May 16, 2007 - 10:39 AM

I only clean mine when I am in the engine for some other reason. I have never seen much crud there on any of my XR's and XL's.

Thats exactly what i was told when i asked before also. i did see mine in the manual when i did my first oil change and thats why i asked about it.

• Bibleman

Posted May 16, 2007 - 05:41 PM

OK thanks!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.