Brake Cleaner safe to Clean Carb?

8 replies to this topic
  • Davies

Posted May 15, 2007 - 05:38 PM

I have a gummed up carb with old gas and goo from my 01 wr250f and have it on the table but am not located in an area that sells carb cleaner. can i use brake cleaner? any other good chemicals methods other than buying carb cleaner? I will use a compressor too. Thanks

• jeremyhensel

Posted May 15, 2007 - 05:40 PM

contact cleaner (electrical contact, not eye contact) is sold at auto parts stores and it doesn't leave a residue like brake cleaner. That said, with the internet I think you could get some carb cleaner in a couple of days.

• Davies

Posted May 15, 2007 - 06:36 PM

do you think brake cleaner (says leaves no reisdue) will work? I have a spray bottle of it. it does say may harm rubber o rings... hmmm.. is this a sketchy idea or can i do it?

• 642MX

Posted May 15, 2007 - 06:45 PM

Brake cleaner and carb cleaner both eat o-rings. Most cleaners do.

If you can't find any carb cleaner, brake cleaner will work to clean your carb, but starting fluid works better.

• jeremyhensel

Posted May 15, 2007 - 06:48 PM

Brake cleaner and contact cleaner both say to keep away from rubber. I would order the carb cleaner

• Racer24

Posted May 15, 2007 - 06:59 PM

i have Maxima Contact Brake Cleaner and its removes oil, grease, carbon deposits, cleans Brakes, Ignitions, and Carbs...its safe for any rubber o rings....and it has a nice citrus scent :)

its also non-corrosive and non-staining...on the back its says its safe to use on Engine parts, carbs, brake parts, ignition parts, spark pluygs, lockes, electrical components, and more

• ttr125l95

Posted May 15, 2007 - 08:47 PM

Take the rubber out of the carb before you clean it, buy a bucket of carb cleaner (like one the paint can thingies) take it apart and let it sit in the can for like 2 hours then come put it back together again. With brake cleaner or carb cleaner you will need to avoid contact with the rubber components.

• Slapnut

Posted May 16, 2007 - 04:43 AM

Isn't BRAKE cleaner for...er...um...well BRAKES!
Leave it for a week or two in some kero or mineral turps and all will be sweet.

• thumpinyami59

Posted May 18, 2007 - 06:40 AM

contact cleaner (electrical contact, not eye contact) is sold at auto parts stores and it doesn't leave a residue like brake cleaner. That said, with the internet I think you could get some carb cleaner in a couple of days.

Brake clean cleans better than carb cleaner. It removes all residue, hence people use it on brakes. I do think it is harder on seals, o-rings, etc. though!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.