Test rode a yz450f

17 replies to this topic
  • warrior04

Posted May 15, 2007 - 01:16 PM

So i went up to my dealer today and my buddy who works up there let me test ride an 07 yz450. Wow! that was the only thing i could say when i got off. The power is so smooth and fun to ride, but it still is fast as hell. Im sold on this bike and am going to pick it up sometime next week.

• Ga426owner

Posted May 15, 2007 - 01:29 PM

You won't be sorry - welcome aboard:thumbsup:

• warrior04

Posted May 15, 2007 - 06:42 PM

Yeah i cant wait to pick it up. Is there anything i should watch out for reliability wise?

• grayracer513

Posted May 15, 2007 - 07:18 PM

The stock chain is trash. Take a new one home with you and install it before you ride it so it doesn't destroy two perfectly good sprockets in the first two weeks. I recommend Regina's ORN-6, or, if for some reason you don't want a sealed chain, their RX-3.

The timing plugs in the ignition cover have a history of not being quite tight enough to stay put as delivered, so check those.

The inside of the air box, including the filter, seems to get dirty a lot quicker than my '03.

The stock tires don't last very long, and the 739 front is really not good off of really hard surfaces.

That's about it.

• 642MX

Posted May 15, 2007 - 07:19 PM

Yeah i cant wait to pick it up. Is there anything i should watch out for reliability wise?

Throw the chain away before it ruins the sprockets. :)

• 642MX

Posted May 15, 2007 - 07:20 PM

You beat me by a minute......:)

• grayracer513

Posted May 15, 2007 - 07:24 PM

I think it was less than that, actually.

• cablemonkey334

Posted May 15, 2007 - 07:24 PM

the stock chain blocks are sh-t . i already called yamaha an there going to replace them with what i dont know

• grayracer513

Posted May 15, 2007 - 07:37 PM

That's about it.

Wait, I remember what the other thing was: fork seals. The OEM seals don't hold up very well for a lot of people. I used MSR's on mine and they have worked well. The MSR dust wipers are much more effective than stock, too. I believe the stock '04 seal would work, too. It's a much more robustly made piece.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • warrior04

Posted May 16, 2007 - 12:30 PM

awesome thanks a lot im picking it up next friday i cant wait

• bboyce

Posted May 16, 2007 - 02:16 PM

I believe the stock '04 seal would work, too. It's a much more robustly made piece.

Yea, I am using the 04 seals on my bike and so far they have worked great. I will have to let you know how long they last.

• Captaincautious7

Posted May 16, 2007 - 04:47 PM

DirtSkins save seals and are very cheap.

• cablemonkey334

Posted May 16, 2007 - 07:43 PM

the o.e.m seals on the 07 bikes have alittle more clearence to pick up the smaller bumps so the dont last as long , but with alittle care you should get 40 hrs. out of them.

• bboyce

Posted May 17, 2007 - 02:27 PM

the o.e.m seals on the 07 bikes have alittle more clearence to pick up the smaller bumps so the dont last as long , but with alittle care you should get 40 hrs. out of them.

My 06 seals had about 30 hours on them when I sent my suspension in to get revalved. They changed my seals, but my seals did not leak. I tried to clean them every ride because I knew how crappy they were.

So I guess if you pay a little attention to them, they will last for awhile.

• dirtrider04

Posted May 17, 2007 - 05:42 PM

You do not need a new chain, the stock chain is a d.i.d chain/perfeclty good

you dont need new tires either
get the bike and enjoy and dont fuss over lil things like that

• grayracer513

Posted May 17, 2007 - 06:32 PM

DID makes chains of all quality levels. The OEM YZF chain is way under spec'ed for the job, and will require and adjustment every time you ride the bike hard, regardless of how well you maintain it. The result will be a chain worn beyond the limit of 2% over length in a very few hours use, and the sprocket wear that goes with it.

But you're entitled to your opinion.

• runester

Posted May 21, 2007 - 11:36 PM

No doubt on the stock chain quality...two track runs at 2-3 hrs each and the chain was stretched beyond belief...just got my regina yesterday...definately a must have upgrade.
Rune

• sandman3

Posted May 22, 2007 - 06:09 AM

Good Luck:applause: :) :ride:
I would move the breather hose and install it in the airbox if you plan on doing any trail riding. I stalled out in a giant puddle when I first got my bike, the result was milky engine oil.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.