New Chain Help - Installation

4 replies to this topic
  • jhawker21

Posted May 15, 2007 - 07:23 AM

OK Guys, I need to pick your brains a bit.

I've recently purchsed a new chain and sprockets for my 02 YZ426. I went with a 14/50 setup and a 120 link chain with a master link. I'm still learning new things all the time and I've figured out I need to remove some links in the chain.

I counted the old chain that came off the bike and it has 113 links, with the stock 14/49 setup.

2 questions: 1) How to I remove the necessary links, with a chain breaker, grinder..any ideas? 2) Anyone have this setup and know how many links they have on their chain.

A buddy told me I need to add or subtract links based on how many teeth my sprockets have so I'm wanting to make sure I do this right the 1st time so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Eric:ride: :applause: :applause:

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted May 15, 2007 - 09:34 AM

The stock chain length for my '99 WR400 is 114 links with a 14/50 sprocket combo. That would be the appropriate length for your bike, too.

If you have a chain breaker, use that. Otherwise use a grinder/dremel tool.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jhawker21

Posted May 15, 2007 - 11:24 AM

Thank for the response! I have a grinder and a vice so I think I'll try to grind 1st and use a punch to push out the pins. I also agree that 114 links is correct.

Thanks again!

• kskyles

Posted May 15, 2007 - 12:05 PM

you can definitely do that. i use a dremel and a motion pro chain tool.

i'm all for saving some bucks, but the chain tool has been a really nice investment. especially if you have more than one bike in the family.

• jhawker21

Posted May 16, 2007 - 08:48 AM

Fixed!!!!

Thanks for the help. I was able to grind down the 6th link to end up with 114. I then punched out the pins and was able to get my new chain installed! New sprockets and chain are installed and good to go.

Thanks for the help!

Eric

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.