Suspension revalving advice

6 replies to this topic
  • rbinstoon

Posted May 14, 2007 - 07:32 PM

OK, I'm wanting to improve the suspension on my '01 YZ426 and was thinking about getting Gold Valve kits for it and doing it myself. Since looking into it a little more and finding shops for Race Tech, MX-Tech and FCR in Canada, I'm considering whether to send the forks and shock to one of them to get the work done.

Does anyone who has dealt with any of them have recommendations(preferably with the Canadian shops in particular)? Is it worth the extra expense to get it done by a good shop rather than doing it myself? I am fairly mechanical, so the work itself is not the problem, but I don't have a lot of experience analyzing how well the suspension is working. How good are the instructions and tech help from Race Tech at helping you get it dialed in right?

I'll appreciate any help and advice. Thanks.

• mxracer206

Posted May 15, 2007 - 04:18 AM

Unless you have the time and patience to re-do them a few times I would send them off. Race Tech gets you in the ball park is all and they also remove the mid-valve stack in the forks which I do not like to do. The stock pistons with the correct set up is the way to go in my opinion.

• rbinstoon

Posted May 15, 2007 - 04:29 AM

I should mention that I do have a spare set of forks and a shock so I can have the time to send them away or do it myself without having to rush.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rbinstoon

Posted May 16, 2007 - 06:57 PM

Anyone else who has dealt with these companies and has any comments on how they liked the work that was done and/or help with any issues after?

• StPeters21

Posted May 17, 2007 - 06:47 PM

i did the race tech thing myself and it was a small improvement.. on my last three bikes ive had pro action revalve my suspension. and i think its awsome!!! Better to let a pro do it. i am pretty good with the wrench, but the valve stacking takes a pro and lots of trial and error...

My 2 cents

• rbinstoon

Posted May 18, 2007 - 12:29 AM

That was one of the concerns I had was that I'm not near any of the shops so I would need to send the suspension to them each time if I needed further work/adjustments done on them.

• Ga426owner

Posted May 18, 2007 - 12:47 PM

I have not had good luck with Goldvalves...way to stiff for me :ride:

The best advice I can give you is find a reputable suspension tuner in your area. Ask the bike shops and dealers that you know or racers in your area. Why "in your area" because it will take several testing times to dial it in correctly.....a local tuner works the best for this. Not bashing sending your stuff off, but it is to their specs not yours. And I have done both...:)

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  57 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.