Best hardpack tire ?

13 replies to this topic
  • The Italian Stallion

Posted May 14, 2007 - 03:55 PM

It seems I have been on the quest for a good hardpack tire for to long. the tracks I ride on get like concrete in the summer.I got a pirelli 454 mid to hard for a good deal and I toasted it in 2 rides not happy. !.ve tried the bridgestone m21 22 combo and toasted my rear in one ride! The 739 wore too fast. The pirelli mt450 felt like i was on ice ! and it chunked off faster than a rabbit gets f....d. No more pirellis for me and I'm a wop! Cali dudes help me out here what is the best bang for you buck, longest lasting with a touch of versitality hardpack combo you can buy.

• bungus

Posted May 14, 2007 - 04:09 PM

pirelli (really stink) bridgestone too, same here the dunlop 739s ok but wear too fast, IRC big ole knobbies chunk off but wear ok........best so far Dunlop 952s..........I ride California in summer hardpack........I'm still not totally happy with the 952s but they hook up good and last O.K. they are the best I have found..........I'm still looking....in the meantime its Dunlop 952s for me

• grayracer513

Posted May 14, 2007 - 04:24 PM

Try a 952 or a 745.

• The Italian Stallion

Posted May 14, 2007 - 05:06 PM

Thanks guys how does the 952 last? and how is the front? I am running a 756 front right now I know its not a hard tire but It feels better on hardpack than the 739 front to me !

• grayracer513

Posted May 14, 2007 - 05:22 PM

The 952 rear holds up better than a Maxxis IT, which is to say, very well.

The 952 front is a musch better all around tire than the 739, but I find the 745 to be better yet, particularly on hard pack. The great thing about it is that when it slips, it isn't just gone, like the 739 is. You can steer through the understeer and get the tire to bite again without having to resort to grabbing as much throttle as you can find.

• The Italian Stallion

Posted May 14, 2007 - 06:25 PM

Thanks grey I'm going to to try that combo745 front and 952 rear I know you can't have it all how is the 745 front when the hardpack gets a little looser like after a few rain days?

• grayracer513

Posted May 15, 2007 - 10:00 AM

It's not bad. The newest Dunlop fronts are the result of an effort to broaden the range of soil types in which the tire will work. The 745 is best in hard-intermediate soil, but works nicely down to soft-intermediate, and up to seriously hard, a much wider range than the 739 by far. The new 742FA is biases toward a softer, but still very wide range.

The 745 works well on the clay tracks even when the water truck driver leaves a puddle here and there. There may be something better, but it's my favorite so far.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted May 15, 2007 - 01:43 PM

My choice would be the Michelin Starcross MH3.....the only tire that has lasted me more than any other I have ever owned.....but it and all Hardpack tires stink in soft or intermediate, so there is a trade off:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted May 15, 2007 - 04:05 PM

But the 745 actually doesn't stink in soft stuff, and works really well in intermediate. Kind of a shock, really.

• 642MX

Posted May 15, 2007 - 05:02 PM

I've never read so many negative comments on Pirelli's. :ride:

I use a Pirelli MXH Scorpion Pro on the rear and a Scorpion Pro (MT83) on the front. It doesn't matter if its mud, rocks, blue groove, loam, ect... they hook up extremely well. :)

• flintlock28

Posted May 15, 2007 - 06:02 PM

I love the Pirelli's also, running a Scorpion Pro up front, and a MT-16 on the rear. Hooks up very well on everything.

• Butta

Posted May 15, 2007 - 07:43 PM

But the 745 actually doesn't stink in soft stuff, and works really well in intermediate. Kind of a shock, really.

I'll second the durability and grip from a set of 952's, I gotta try that 745 front next......sounds like it's right up my alley for terrain around here.

• The Italian Stallion

Posted May 20, 2007 - 06:28 AM

I've never read so many negative comments on Pirelli's. :ride:

I use a Pirelli MXH Scorpion Pro on the rear and a Scorpion Pro (MT83) on the front. It doesn't matter if its mud, rocks, blue groove, loam, ect... they hook up extremely well. :)

I not sayiing all ther tires are crap. I'm the kind of guy that if I get a shity steak at a steakhouse I'm not going back because I heard the fish was good.When Ipay good $ for a purpose built tool and it fails to do its job it really pisses me off.

• TMAC25

Posted May 21, 2007 - 10:43 PM

Michelin M12, just put front and rear on and love them.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.