Compression Lock

Hi guys , having a small problem with my 2001 wr426.:applause: I went to start it and the kick starter got stuck at the top of the stroke. decomp lever didnt help, so i put it in gear and rocked it forwad and that freed it up. Tried kicking it a couple of times again and it stuck at the top again. this time rocking it back and forward didnt help, even tried roll starting it and it is just locked. Is there something i'm missing or will i just have to open the top end and have a look:eek: ?Ive had a quick look through the threads and havent seen anything similar to this.(sorry I had to repost this as i accidently put it in the yz forum)

The symptom sounds somewhat similar to what was happening when my big-end rod bearing was freezing. Are you sure it's happening at TDC every time? Also, are you sure your decomp lever is adjusted properly? Hope it's as simple as that...

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys just thought id let you know what happened. I ended looking at the head, no problem, took the clutch cover off, no problem with the kick starter or anything else there. Took the stator cover off. Bingo, Something had come loose and ground itself into oblivion in between the rotor and the engine. Hard to tell what it was, but it is now metal shavings. Took it back to the shop as they had just put in a new rotor/ stator before i bought this bike only 3 months ago. Still waiting to find out what caused it and whether i have to pay for it.......

• Like 1

Dont worry, My WR450 '07 does it all the time. The piston seams to stop at TDC and nothing moves it without putting the bike in gear and rocking it slightly. Starter motor doesnt turn it, kick start doesnt work and decompression lever does nothing. Seams to be a design fualt or something. At least if it happens you now know what to do.

Cheers

Muz

?:busted:?

• 1 month later...
Dont worry, My WR450 '07 does it all the time. The piston seams to stop at TDC and nothing moves it without putting the bike in gear and rocking it slightly. Starter motor doesnt turn it, kick start doesnt work and decompression lever does nothing. Seams to be a design fualt or something. At least if it happens you now know what to do.

Cheers

Muz

:ride::sa::ride:

My 07 does exactly the same thing. Have stalled it twice, and couldn't start. Into 1st gear, enough rocking to turn the cams a bit and it fired up fine. PITA

• 7 months later...
My 07 does exactly the same thing. Have stalled it twice, and couldn't start. Into 1st gear, enough rocking to turn the cams a bit and it fired up fine. PITA

Ditto here too! Had the exact same thing happen twice to me in one day after stalling it.