Wipe Out on my L

8 replies to this topic
  • squatpuke

Posted May 14, 2007 - 07:26 AM

So I took a pretty nasty spill on my 07 XRL, fortunatly it was in the soft stuff...however, it was still bad enough to break the left sided mirror. (I'll be taking those off on off-road rides now, for sure)

I also think, but I'm not sure, I bent the handlebars...

Just looking at the bars, they seem to be ok, but it kinda, just slightly, feels like the bars aren't perfectly lined up.

Is there a chance I could have damaged something other than the bars? ie, the triple or forks...even though everything thing physically looks ok?

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted May 14, 2007 - 07:48 AM

I wouldn't worry about major component damage, unless it is evident.

Wasn't there to see, but spills like I think you might have taken usually bend bars, bend/break levers/mirrors/turn-signals, and bruise egos, lol. :applause:

Your fork tubes and triple clamps may have gotten tweaked, but I doubt they are damaged. Check your alignment, and readjust if necessary.

If you have the stock steel bars, they will bend back. Again, and again. :applause:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted May 14, 2007 - 07:54 AM

I tweak my front end all the time.

I usually just sit on the bike with the front wheel next to a tree, and swing the bars quick and bang the wheel against the tree.

Dave

• wheelnut46

Posted May 14, 2007 - 08:46 AM

Got pushed off the road by a little old lady who obviously learned to drive before there were mirrors :applause: :p and low speed dropped in the median and thought I'd bent my front end. Just rode it home somewhat funny and followed Daves advice substituting a truck tire for the tree. :applause:
Took a month for the bruises to heal and my thumb still isnt right

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 650_shark

Posted May 14, 2007 - 09:17 AM

SPills like that always happen...throw away the stock bars, those things are bend-o-matics. once in a while I will loosen my triple tree bolts and check the forks making sure there str8 than retorque the bolts.

• elrontx

Posted May 14, 2007 - 04:55 PM

I tweak my front end all the time.

I usually just sit on the bike with the front wheel next to a tree, and swing the bars quick and bang the wheel against the tree.

Dave

lol I do that once every few months.

• captb

Posted May 14, 2007 - 05:01 PM

:applause:

So I took a pretty nasty spill on my 07 XRL, fortunatly it was in the soft stuff...however, it was still bad enough to break the left sided mirror. (I'll be taking those off on off-road rides now, for sure)

I also think, but I'm not sure, I bent the handlebars...

Just looking at the bars, they seem to be ok, but it kinda, just slightly, feels like the bars aren't perfectly lined up.

Is there a chance I could have damaged something other than the bars? ie, the triple or forks...even though everything thing physically looks ok?

Hope your ok, by your avatar pic it looks like some swelling in the midsection.:applause:

• Adamsvh67

Posted May 15, 2007 - 10:57 AM

Yeah, it happens. Worked on my '07 L last weekend and a buddy stopped by w/ his '01 L. We have very similar set-ups so he was curious how they compared(he had already ridden mine and said mine was stronger in midrange) Told him I'd been drinking and would check it out later. Kept bugging me to ride his. So I ran the sh*t outta it and brought it back with a broken left front turn signal. tweaked front end(actually, clamps slipped a little-straightened-re-torqued) and took a chunk out of the front number plate. Needless to say, his has shiny new parts off my '07 now...
He's happy enough, but I'm scuffed, sore, and trashed a new pair of 400.00 eye glasses. Bummer. :applause:
I'm a decent rider with USUALLY good judgement. But, hey! Sh*t happens...

FYI: It hit HARD! I'm impressed with what little damage resulted considering the force it took...
AV

• 07XR650L

Posted May 16, 2007 - 08:36 AM

I did the same thing on my '07... had a couple drinks and for lack of better judgement decided to launch off the top of nice sand dune which was a lot taller on the backside than I expected. I basically did a monster nose dive at 40 mph and was body-slammed into the ground. I hit hard enough to snap the stem of my left mirror clean off at the base and fill my turn signal and horn buttons full of sand to the point of not working. At least it was in the sand :) and now I have some new dual-star mirrors and rim locks on the way. I was very surprised that nothing was damaged badly... the 650 is a tough bike.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.