01 yz 250 w/ 04 yz 450 shock

4 replies to this topic
  • vern7483

Posted May 14, 2007 - 06:18 AM

i bought my 250 2stroke last spring off of ebay and have had nothing but trouble with my rear shock bottoming....(hitting the rear fender)....i picked up a shock off a o4 yz 450.....put a new 5.3 spring on it. ran the compression clicker all the way in....and it still hits the fender on some jumps....and they are not by any means BIG jumps.....i have set the race sag w/o my gear on....just regular clothing....i know....your supposed to do it with all your riding gear on.....could that just be the problem.???? does the gear add that much more weight to your bike....??? any suggestions would be appreciated....thanks

• grayracer513

Posted May 14, 2007 - 06:51 AM

Have you picked up your gear bag lately? :applause:

How much do you weigh?

Why ask about your YZ in this forum?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • vern7483

Posted May 14, 2007 - 07:07 PM

i weigh 190 w/o gear

• grayracer513

Posted May 15, 2007 - 10:43 AM

190 is just over the weight range for stock spring rates, but 5.3 should be heavy enough if the shock is working right. Maybe a rebuild is in order.

If the previous owner was exceptionally short, he may have lowered the subframe a little, too.

• Yamaha SPYR

Posted March 17, 2008 - 01:46 AM

I have that same set up and with an OHLINS YZF450 04 shock. IT iS SHORTER! I guess setting race sag with gear on will make a difference of anything up to 5-10mm which will effect ride height but full compression is full compression. I think hitting the guard isn't that big a problem(I read that The Goats Suzuki did that with the lowered subframe. It's just where in the stroke is the bike sitting on riding.? Maybe a revalve and regas service is in Order...I'm considering that.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.