valve check/adjustment

1 reply to this topic
  • taterbean

Posted May 13, 2007 - 09:42 PM

Just got a 99 WR 400, guy didnt check valves regularly and doesnt know when he did it last (not within 2 years, but not ridden hardly at all during that time). my question is are there things you start to notice while the bike is running that is a result of valves out of spec? Basically should i worry about learning how to tear into it and checking the valves etc even if the bike starts first kick and runs good? Thank, btw loving the wr, rips on the oregon dunes, getting a jd jet kit this week and maybe a yz pipe (cheap pipe option, havent looked much into performance gains yet)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TeamScream

Posted May 13, 2007 - 10:32 PM

Just got a 99 WR 400, guy didnt check valves regularly and doesnt know when he did it last (not within 2 years, but not ridden hardly at all during that time). my question is are there things you start to notice while the bike is running that is a result of valves out of spec? Basically should i worry about learning how to tear into it and checking the valves etc even if the bike starts first kick and runs good? Thank, btw loving the wr, rips on the oregon dunes, getting a jd jet kit this week and maybe a yz pipe (cheap pipe option, havent looked much into performance gains yet)

If the bike starts first kick and runs strong then the valves are probably fine, I would certainly learn how to check them as part of reg maintenance however.
The YZ pipe is a great option for these bikes as a cheap way to go, I have 2 spare complete YZ pipes so if and when you want one let me know and I can sell you one pretty cheap.

Heres my 2001

Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.